Moist and sweet pumpkin cupcakes with an easy cream cheese frosting. These cupcakes are perfect for pumpkin lovers!
Ever since I met my husband nearly ten years ago, I’ve always told him I wanted to own a bakery. You know how some kids dream of becoming a lawyer, doctor, or even a vet when they grow up? I’ve always wanted to have my own bakery and bake sweets all day long. Just the idea sounds fun, right?
In fact, cupcakes are one of my favorite things to bake. I bake them for coworkers, family, sometimes just because I feel like baking. So this past weekend I felt like it was time to start working on some of my own cupcake recipes for the blog. I figured the perfect place to start would be with one of my favorite things ever – PUMPKIN!
I worked on several batched of pumpkin cupcakes and after some tweaking, I finally found the winning recipe. The cupcakes themselves are slightly sweet, but not too sweet since we’re topping them with some frosting too. These cupcakes are extra moist too thanks to the oil, brown sugar, and of course the pumpkin.
I used a full cup of pumpkin in this recipe because I wanted to make sure the pumpkin flavor stood out. Since you won’t be using an entire can, you can use the rest to make these baked pumpkin donuts (one of my favorites!).
And then I also topped them with an easy cream cheese frosting with just four ingredients – cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar (aka powdered sugar), and vanilla. I always set my cream cheese and butter out ahead of time to make sure they’re both soft, which makes them easier to mix together and a creamier frosting.
If you don’t have a piping bag and tip you can use a bag with the corner snipped off or even a knife to frost these cupcakes. I brought a batch of these to a family get together this past week and everyone loved them. I guarantee anyone else who loves pumpkin will love these too!
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12 count muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners about ⅔ of the way full, you should get 12 cupcakes, and smooth out the tops of each one.
- Bake at 350 for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until fully combined.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired.
More recipes from friends!
Pumpkin Pecan Cinnamon Sugar Pull Apart Bread from Bakerita
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones from A Latte Food
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice from Kristine’s Kitchen