Moist and sweet pumpkin cupcakes with an easy cream cheese frosting. These cupcakes are perfect for pumpkin lovers!
Ever since I met my husband nearly ten years ago, I’ve always told him I wanted to own a bakery. You know how some kids dream of becoming a lawyer, doctor, or even a vet when they grow up? I’ve always wanted to have my own bakery and bake sweets all day long. Just the idea sounds fun, right?
In fact, cupcakes are one of my favorite things to bake. I bake them for coworkers, family, sometimes just because I feel like baking. So this past weekend I felt like it was time to start working on some of my own cupcake recipes for the blog. I figured the perfect place to start would be with one of my favorite things ever – PUMPKIN!
I worked on several batches of pumpkin cupcakes and after some tweaking, I finally found the winning recipe. The cupcakes themselves are slightly sweet, but not too sweet since we’re topping them with some frosting too. These cupcakes are extra moist thanks to the oil, brown sugar, and of course, the pumpkin.
I used a full cup of pumpkin in this recipe because I wanted to make sure the pumpkin flavor stood out. Since you won’t be using an entire can of pumpkin, you can use the rest to make these baked pumpkin donuts (one of my favorites!).
And then these cupcakes are topped an easy cream cheese frosting with just four ingredients – cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. I always make sure to set my cream cheese and butter out ahead of time so that they have time to come to room temperature once the cupcakes have cooled.
If you don’t have a piping bag and tip you can use a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off or even a knife to frost these cupcakes. I took a batch of these to a family get together this past week and everyone loved them. I guarantee anyone else who loves pumpkin will love these too!
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 and 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (250 grams) pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package brick- style cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 count muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla until fully combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full, you should get 12 cupcakes, and smooth out the tops of each one.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
To make the cream cheese frosting:
- Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until fully combined.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired.