This Homemade Pumpkin Roll is easy to make, perfectly spiced, and filled with a simple cream cheese frosting. The perfect dessert for fall!
It’s officially September and if you’ve been following my blog for any amount of time, you know how much I adore this time of year! Not only does the weather start to cool off, but there are pumpkin and apple treats everywhere.
While I have a lot of fall-inspired recipes planned for you, I wanted to kick it off with one of my current favorite treats – this delicious pumpkin roll recipe! While there are a few steps involved with making a cake roll, this one is fairly easy. Plus, who doesn’t love the beautiful swirls inside of a cake roll after you slice into it?
And if you’ve never made one, don’t worry! I’ve broken everything down to teach you exactly how to make this gorgeous pumpkin swiss roll.
This pumpkin cream cheese roll requires some extra TLC but the end result is worth it! Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Sugar: I use a mix of brown sugar and granulated sugar in this cake. The brown sugar adds flavor and moisture too.
- Eggs: You’ll be using three large eggs in this recipe. I suggest beating the eggs and sugar together first until they’re well combined, then mix in the last two wet ingredients.
- Pumpkin Puree: I use store-bought pumpkin puree because it’s easiest. Just make sure that you’re using pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. The only ingredient in pumpkin puree is pumpkin, pumpkin pie filling is already sweetened and has spices added to it.
- Vanilla Extract: For a little extra flavor!
- All-purpose flour: There’s only 3/4 cup of flour in this pumpkin roll. Just be sure to use the spoon and level method so you don’t end up with too much flour.
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder: To help the cake rise a little as it’s baking.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice & Salt: Since I wanted to keep things a little easier, I opted to use pumpkin pie spice.
How to Make A Pumpkin Roll
To make this pumpkin roll, start by mixing the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and eggs together for about one minute. Then, mix in the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract. In a separate mixing bowl, you’ll whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined.
Once you’ve mixed up the wet and dry ingredients, you’ll combine them together. Next, prepare a jelly roll pan by lining it with parchment paper and spraying the edges well with nonstick cooking spray. This pan is similar to the pan that I use for this recipe.
The cake will only take about 12 to 15 minutes in the oven, you’ll know it’s done once a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. You also want to make sure to roll the cake while it’s still hot, you can see my detailed notes below on how to roll it.
Once the cake has cooled, you can unroll it and frost it. Since this is a pumpkin roll, I decided to use a cream cheese frosting. I based the frosting off of my homemade cream cheese frosting but used a little less butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla so the cream cheese could really stand out. If you prefer to use a different frosting you can try my homemade vanilla buttercream recipe instead of the cream cheese frosting.
As you’re frosting the cake roll, make sure to leave about a 1/2-inch border around the edges that is not frosted. Then, roll it up again and let it chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours so the frosting can firm up and make it easier to slice.
Once the cake has chilled, you can dust it with a little more powdered sugar if desired, then slice it up and enjoy!
How to Roll A Cake Roll
Here’s the most important part when it comes to a cake roll: You need to roll the cake while it’s still hot. Here’s exactly how to do this step:
- Before you make the cake, dust a clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar, this will help prevent it from sticking to the towel when you unroll it.
- Once the cake is done baking, remove it from the oven, and flip the cake over onto the towel.
- Peel off the parchment paper that’s stuck to the cake.
- Carefully roll the cake and towel together, starting at the narrow end, just like the picture above.
How Do You Store It?
This pumpkin cream cheese roll may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, this will freeze well for up to 3 months. I recommend wrapping it tightly with plastic wrap and storing it in a freezer bag or container. When you’re ready to enjoy it, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator.
What Can I Substitute for the Pumpkin Pie Spice?
If you don’t have any on hand, you can use my homemade pumpkin pie spice recipe instead.
- When measuring your flour, make sure to spoon it into the measuring cup and level it off with the back of a knife.
- It’s best to line the bottom of your pan with parchment paper and spray the sides well with nonstick cooking spray. This will help prevent the cake roll from sticking to the pan.
- To prevent the pumpkin roll from cracking, make sure to roll it first while it’s warm and let it cool completely. Then, carefully unroll it, frost it, and roll it back up. If you get a crack or two in your pumpkin roll you can just dust it with a little powdered sugar to cover it up.
More Pumpkin Desserts to Try!
- Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Soft and Chewy Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake
For the pumpkin roll:
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) powdered sugar (use more or less as needed)
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) light brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (160 grams) pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (95 grams) all-purpose flour spoon & leveled
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounces brick-style cream cheese , softened
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) unsalted butter , softened
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180 grams) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
To make the pumpkin roll:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line the bottom of a 10x15 jelly roll pan with parchment paper, spray the sides well with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Spread out a clean kitchen towel and dust with the powdered sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a handheld mixer or a whisk, mix together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and eggs for about 30 seconds to 1 minute or until well combined. Mix in the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it around into one even layer. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 12 to 15 minutes or until the top is set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and immediately loosen the cake from the pan. Turn the cake onto the prepared kitchen towel and peel off the parchment paper. Carefully roll up the cake and the towel together starting at the narrow end. Place on a wire rack to cool completely (about 2 hours).
To make the cream cheese frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until well combined.
- Mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until fully combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
To assemble the pumpkin roll:
- Unroll the cooled pumpkin roll, making sure to carefully peel it away from the towel. Frost with the cream cheese frosting, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges unfrosted.
- Carefully roll the pumpkin roll back up and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Once chilled, dust with more powdered sugar, slice into pieces and enjoy!