Learn how easy it is to make your own graham cracker crust with this simple tutorial! You only need three ingredients and about 10 minutes to prepare this pie crust. This recipe works great for baked or no-bake pies!
*Pictures and post updated November 2019.*
It’s been a while since I’ve shared a how-to baking post. Since we’re so close to the holidays, I thought it would be the perfect time to share one recipe that I make every holiday season – my homemade graham cracker crust recipe!
I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ve never been a fan of the store-bought graham cracker crusts. I feel like store-bought crusts are far too crumbly and it’s almost impossible to get a clean slice out of them without it falling apart.
I’ve been making my own homemade graham cracker pie crust for years now and I’ve never looked back because they’re SO much better. Plus, you’ll love this homemade version because:
- It’s easy to make
- It only requires three ingredients
- You can prepare it in less than 10 minutes
- It’s perfect for baked and no-bake pies!
Ingredients For This Graham Cracker Crust
To make this graham cracker crust recipe, you’ll need three ingredients: graham crackers crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Let’s break each one down!
- Graham Cracker Crumbs: You’ll need 1 and 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs for this recipe which is equal to 11-12 full sheets of graham crackers. If you want to make this recipe even easier, you can buy graham cracker crumbs at the store too.
- Granulated Sugar: This will add some sweetness to the crust.
- Melted Butter: The most important ingredient to help the crust stick together. For a baked pie crust, I typically use 5 tablespoons of melted butter. For a no-bake pie crust, I like to use 6 tablespoons.
How To Make A Graham Cracker Crust
To make this recipe, you’ll start by stirring together your graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Then, you’ll stir in the melted butter until all of the crumbs are moistened.
I suggest starting with 5 tablespoons of melted butter and then see how the mixture looks first. It should be a little bit crumbly, but if you squeeze some together in your hand it will hold together. If you feel that the crust is a little too dry or crumbly you can melt an additional tablespoon of butter and stir it in.
Once you’ve mixed up the graham cracker crust mixture, you’ll scoop the mixture into a pie dish and press it down firmly on the bottom and up around the sides.
I like to use the bottom of a measuring cup to help pack the crust down. I used a pie dish for this tutorial, but just about any kind of pan or dish will work just fine!
For a baked pie crust: Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C) and bake the crust for 10 minutes.
For a no-bake pie crust: Transfer to the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to chill while you prepare your filling, then fill the pie crust.
Different Ways To Use This Pie Crust
As I mentioned earlier, this homemade graham cracker pie crust is a perfect base for just about any pie. I especially love to use this recipe for my homemade key lime pie. I’ll be sharing that recipe later this week, but in the meantime, here are a few more ways you can use it!
- Lemon Pie
- Mini Cheesecakes (scaled down slightly to fit the recipe)
- Classic Cheesecake Recipe
- Key Lime Pie – updated recipe coming on Thursday!
- You can make your own graham cracker crumbs by crushing graham crackers in a blender, food processor, or plastic bag. If you want to make this recipe a little easier, you can skip this step and just use store-bought graham cracker crumbs. Both work great in this recipe!
- If using graham crackers in this recipe, you’ll need about 11-12 full sheets of graham crackers to get 1 and 1/2 cups of crumbs.
- I suggest starting with 5 tablespoons of butter. If you feel that the mixture is too dry or crumbly, melt an additional tablespoon of butter and stir it in.
- Don’t have any graham crackers where you live? If you outside of the US, digestive biscuits are a great alternative!
How To Make A Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180 grams) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated sugar
- 5-6 tablespoons (70-85 grams) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Add the graham crackers to a blender or food processor and process until you have fine crumbs. Scoop the crumbs into a mixing bowl and stir in the sugar. Add the melted butter and stir until well combined and all of the crumbs are moistened.
- Scoop the mixture into a 9-9.5 inch pie plate (or springform pan) and firmly press it down into an even layer on the bottom and up around the sides of the dish.
- For a baked pie crust: Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.
- For a no-bake pie crust: Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes while preparing your filling, then fill the pie crust.