This easy Lemon Pie features a homemade graham cracker crust, a creamy lemon filling, and homemade whipped cream on top. The perfect dessert for lemon lovers!
Have you ever tried a lemon pie? If not, you’re in for a real treat today!
Several of you mentioned to me that you’d love to see more pie recipes on the blog. And while this isn’t a traditional pie recipe made with a regular pie crust, it is pretty easy to make and delicious too.
This lemon pie is similar to a classic key lime pie, but it’s made with fresh lemon juice instead. In fact, I think this version is even a little better than key lime pie. And since this pie needs to be refrigerated for several hours, it’s a perfect dessert that you can make ahead of time!
There are three separate components to this creamy lemon pie:
- Homemade Graham Cracker Crust
- Lemon Pie Filling
- Homemade Whipped Cream
I wrote a full post on how to make a graham cracker crust here, so if you haven’t made one before that’s a great starting point. You only need three ingredients for the crust, some crushed graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter.
If you want to make the crust a little bit easier, you can also use a box of graham cracker crumbs. I like to do this sometimes so I don’t have to mess with breaking out my blender or food processor to grind up graham crackers. It’s much easier and there’s less cleanup involved too!
Once you pre-bake the crust, it’s best to let the crust cool for 5-10 minutes while you make the filling.
For the lemon pie filling, you’ll be using some fresh lemon juice, egg yolks, and sweetened condensed milk. I also find the taste of this pie to be much better with fresh lemon juice, so I would suggest using it if you can.
Once you whisk together the filling it should seem pretty thick. You’ll pour it on your graham cracker crust and let it bake for about 20 more minutes.
Once the pie is finished baking, the top should look set but it will still be jiggly. As the pie cools the residual heat will continue to cook the pie and it will set up properly.
Once the pie has cooled and been refrigerated, you’ll top it off with some homemade whipped cream. If you want to make this recipe a little easier, then you can just use a tub of whipped topping. But I’ll be honest, the homemade version is SO much better!
Baking Tips for Lemon Pie
- Once you bake the graham cracker crust, let it cool for 5-10 minutes before you add the pie filling. This will ensure a sturdier crust that will hold up better.
- I suggest using fresh lemon juice for this pie instead of bottled juice. You can usually get about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice from a medium lemon or 1/4 cup from a larger lemon.
- When you cover the pie, make sure that the plastic wrap (or whatever you use to cover it) is not directly touching the top. I find that plastic wrap tends to stick to the pie and can pull some of it up with it when you remove it.
For the graham cracker crust:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180 grams) graham cracker crumbs, 11-12 full sheets of graham crackers
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
For the lemon pie filling:
- 1 cup (240 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- Whipped topping or homemade whipped cream
To make the graham cracker crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Add the melted butter and stir until fully combined and all of the crumbs are moistened.
- Scoop the mixture into a 9-9.5 inch pie plate and firmly press it down into an even layer on the bottom and up around the sides of the dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes while you make the filling.
- Keep oven temperature at 350°F.
To make the lemon pie filling:
- Combine the lemon juice, sweetened condensed milk, and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and whisk until fully combined.
- Pour the filling into the slightly cooled graham cracker crust and spread it around into one even layer.
- Bake at 350°F for 18-22 minutes or until the top of the pie is set, the pie will still be jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature for about 2 hours. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill for at least 5-6 hours or overnight. Once chilled, top with whipped cream, serve and enjoy!
More pie recipes to try!