An easy recipe for cream cheese frosting made with four simple ingredients and ready in just a few minutes. This frosting pipes perfectly and can be used on so many different desserts!
Today we’re talking about one of the best frosting recipes in the world, cream cheese frosting. I originally planned to post a carrot cake recipe with this frosting, but I really feel like this recipe needs it’s own post.
Ever since the first time I made my own cream cheese frosting, I decided I would never go back to the store-bought version again. Not only is this recipe ridiculously easy to make, but it tastes so much better than anything you could buy at the store. This frosting also goes so well on so many different desserts, it’s a perfect recipe to keep on hand.
To make this frosting you’ll need some cream cheese, unsalted butter, powdered sugar, and pure vanilla extract. One important thing about the cream cheese, make sure you buy brick-style cream cheese. You want to avoid the little containers of cream cheese spread. For the best taste and flavor, I suggest full fat cream cheese. You can use reduced fat cream cheese, but avoid using fat free cream cheese in this recipe.
As always I use unsalted butter, so that’s what I use here too. Another important thing when making this frosting, make sure your cream cheese and butter are at room temperature. This is crucial to getting a smooth and creamy frosting without any lumps.
You’ll also be using some powdered sugar, also known as confectioners sugar or icing sugar. You can sift the powdered sugar if you want to avoid any lumps in your frosting, but I always skip this step and never notice a difference.
The last ingredient is just a little pure vanilla extract. You can also use something like lemon extract in this frosting instead of vanilla extract!
And the recipe for that carrot cake, plus how to change it and bake into 24 cupcakes is coming later this week!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package brick style cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups (240 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using a hand-held mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter and mix for about 30 seconds-1 minute until well combined and smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue mixing until fully combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pipe or frost on cooled cupcakes, cakes, or other desserts as desired.
Try my favorite buttercream frosting recipe next!