An easy Peach Crisp made with fresh, juicy peaches and a delicious crispy topping.
Do you love fresh peaches this time of year? Once summer hits, I tend to go a little crazy when it comes to buying peaches and we usually end up with more than we need.
A few weekends ago I decided to take my mixed berry crisp recipe and transform it into a peach crisp. And you guys, the results were so good I couldn’t help but make another one (okay, two more) and share the recipe with you. This crisp tastes absolutely wonderful and is so simple to throw together!
In fact, if I’m using frozen or canned peaches I can usually have this crisp ready to go into the oven in about 10-15 minutes. And even if you’re using fresh peaches, this dish is still so simple to throw together and enjoy.
This peach crisp starts off with a simple brown sugar oat topping. You’ll start by whisking together some flour, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and a touch of salt. Then, you’ll cut in some cold cubed butter until the mixture is nice and crumbly. I like to use a pastry cutter for this part, but if you don’t have one you can use a fork or even your hands to work the butter into the dry ingredients.
Once the mixture starts to come together, you’ll stir in some old-fashioned rolled oats. I find that it’s best to stir the oats in at the end, otherwise they end up getting cut into pieces when you’re cutting the butter into the mixture.
Since the butter needs to be cold for the topping, it’s best to make the topping first and pop it into the refrigerator while you make the peach filling.
And speaking of that delicious peach filling? The filling is just a simple mixture of peaches, sugar, and some flour to help thicken it up. You’ll spread the peach filling into a pie plate or square baking dish, sprinkle the topping over it, and pop it in the oven.
And that my friends is how simple this crisp is to throw together.
Once the crisp is baked you’ll need to let it cool for a few minutes before serving. I love topping this peach crisp with some vanilla ice cream while it’s still warm, but this crisp is also delicious just by itself!
Baking tips for Peach Crisp
- Be sure to prepare the topping first and refrigerate it while you make the filling.
- You can use fresh, frozen, or canned peaches in this recipe. If using fresh peaches you’ll need about 6-7 medium peaches. If using frozen peaches do not thaw them. If using canned peaches, make sure to use sliced peaches that are canned in juice (not syrup) and drain them completely first.
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) all-purpose flour, spooned & leveled
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed into small pieces
- 1 cup (100 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats
For the filling:
- 5 cups sliced peaches* about 6-7 medium peaches
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (31 grams) all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch pie plate (an 8 or 9-inch square baking dish should work fine too) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
To make the topping:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt until well combined. Add the cold cubed butter and using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture starts to come together and is crumbly. Stir in the oats and transfer to the refrigerator while you make the filling.
To make the filling:
- Add the peaches to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the flour and sugar on top. Stir until all of the peaches are well coated with the flour and sugar. Scoop the peaches into the prepared baking dish, remove the topping from the refrigerator and sprinkle on top of the filling.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until the topping is lightly golden brown and the juices are bubbling around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Love crisps? Try my Apple Crisp for Two next!