This Apple Crisp for Two is easy to make and a perfect small batch dessert for fall!
Do you ever have those moments when you’re craving a dessert, but the last thing you want to do is make a huge batch? Or maybe there are just two people living in your home and you don’t like having a ton of leftovers just sitting around your house.
That’s where small-batch desserts come in handy. And today’s recipe? It’s ridiculously easy to throw together and only makes two servings. You can even use the same bowl to mix up the filling and topping, so there’s hardly any cleanup. This recipe is one that you have to keep on hand because you’ll want to make it all of the time. I’m speaking from experience over here.
So, let’s talk about the recipe a bit. The filling is just a simple mixture of apples, a little bit of flour, and some brown sugar. I prefer to use Granny Smith apples in this recipe because they pair so well with the sweetness of everything. You can use any apple you like, just adjust the sugar in the filling if needed.
One little quick tip for the apples – make sure and chop them up about the same size so they bake evenly. It doesn’t have to be absolutely perfect, just do your best to get them all about the same size. You can also feel free to slice the apples instead of chopping them, but the chopped pieces tend to work better in the ramekins.
Speaking of the ramekins, I used 10-ounce ones for these apple crisps. The 10-ounce ramekins are the perfect size for this recipe and everything fits perfectly into them. I picked up a couple from the store for just a couple dollars each. So worth it, and you can use them for so many other things. Or keep reusing them to bake these apple crisps. Seriously.
Once you mix up the filling, just divide it between the two ramekins. For easier cleanup, wipe out the bowl you mixed the filling in and reuse it to make the topping. For the topping, you’ll also need a bit of flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, cinnamon, a tiny pinch of salt, and some butter. You can work the mixture together with your hands or a fork, sprinkle it over the apples, then pop it into the oven and bake! This recipe is so easy and you can prep everything and have it baking while you’re eating dinner.
Also, since this recipe makes just two servings that means it’s okay to add a little ice cream and caramel sauce. Right?? Try it. You won’t regret it.
Apple Crisp For Two
For the filling:
- 2 large Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and chopped - about 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 3 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- tiny pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cold and cubed
To make the filling:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 10-ounce ramekins with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, toss together the chopped apples, flour, and sugar until all of the apple pieces are coated well. Evenly distribute the apple filling between both ramekins and set aside.
To make the topping:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl (or clean out the bowl you used for the filling and reuse it here too) add the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt and mix until well combined. Add in the cubed butter and work the mixture together with your hands or a fork until it starts to clump together. Evenly distribute the topping between both ramekins on top of the apple filling.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until the apples are cooked through and the topping is lightly golden brown. Allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes. Serve and enjoy.
You can find all of my small batch recipes here.
And here’s even more apple recipes to try!