A moist and delicious cinnamon swirl banana bread recipe. Serve this for breakfast or as dessert!
Are you tired of seeing banana bread recipes yet? I sure hope not, because I have a delicious and easy recipe to share with you all today. A few weeks ago I had some overripe bananas and needed to use them. I decided to make a batch of banana bread but wanted to add a little something extra to it. I threw around a few ideas to my husband and this one ended up being the winner.
Actually, my other idea was a chocolate chip banana bread, but my husband seems to think that bananas and chocolate are a weird combination. Um. Whaaaat? I thought chocolate made everything better?
For the record, he actually orders a chocolate covered frozen banana every time we go to this local ice cream shop. I still can’t figure out his logic.
But anyway, back to this banana bread. I added an additional banana and a bit of brown sugar to add more moisture to the bread. Moist banana bread = the best thing ever.
The cinnamon swirl is just a mix of cinnamon and sugar layered with the banana bread mixture. For the swirl, you can either make one thicker layer or two slightly thinner layers. I’ve tried it both ways and they’re equally delicious. This bread also freezes well and when reheated the cinnamon and sugar layer tastes amazing!
Cinnamon Swirled Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (440 grams) mashed banana (about 4 large bananas)
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon Sugar Swirl
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until well combined (about 1 minute). Add in the eggs and vanilla, making sure to mix well after each ingredient. Add the mashed banana and stir by hand.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined, making sure not to overmix the batter.
- In a separate bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the cinnamon sugar swirl and set aside.
- For one layer of the cinnamon sugar - pour about half of the banana bread into the loaf pan and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top, then pour the remaining batter on top.
- For two layers of the cinnamon sugar (like the picture above) - pour about one-third of the batter in the loaf pan, sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture on top, and repeat layers, topping with the last third of the banana bread.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the banana bread becomes too dark, tent with aluminum foil for the last 15-20 minutes of baking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in loaf pan for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the loaf pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Banana Bread recipe adapted from Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook