This Whole Wheat Banana Bread is lightened up with Greek yogurt and less sugar!
Do you always have extra bananas leftover at the end of the week? Just me?
I always buy quite a few bananas on the weekend and take them to work for a snack during the week. But sometimes I end up with a few overripe bananas that I hate to just throw away.
Occasionally I will slice them up and freeze them for smoothies (sooo good!). Lately I’ve been trying to find new ways to bake with them in a little bit of a healthier way. I decided to start with a healthier banana bread recipe, and I have to tell you I’m so happy with how this turned out. It is sooo good!
You’ll start with some white whole wheat flour. Have you tried it before? I’m completely obsessed with it and I love using it to bake with when I’m baking a little bit healthier. You’ll mix the flour with a little baking soda and some salt and set it aside.
Then you’ll mix together the wet ingredients, a little bit of oil, brown sugar, honey, Greek yogurt (sour cream works just fine too), a couple eggs, some vanilla, and three large mashed bananas.
Now to keep this bread on the lighter side, I only used 1/4 cup of brown sugar. For the entire loaf, it’s really not much sugar. The rest of the sweetness comes from the honey and the bananas. I also used some oil in this recipe, but only 1/4 cup. But don’t worry, this banana bread is still incredibly moist from the Greek yogurt and the bananas.
The best thing about this banana bread is that it’s moist and perfectly sweet, but it’s not overloaded with oil, butter, or sugar. You can serve this for breakfast, a snack, or dessert and feel good about eating it too.
This bread will also freeze well, so you can make a loaf, slice it up, and freeze it to enjoy throughout the week!
Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- 1 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup oil (canola, vegetable, or coconut oil work fine)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed well (about 1 and 1/4 cups mashed banana)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, honey, brown sugar, Greek yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until fully combined. Add in the mashed banana and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes (mine is usually perfect right at 45 minutes) or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil for the last 10-15 minutes of baking if needed to prevent the bread from becoming too browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!
More lighter options to try.