Whole Wheat Banana Bread
This whole wheat banana bread recipe is lightened up with Greek yogurt and is sweetened using a combination of honey and brown sugar.
Do you always have extra bananas leftover at the end of the week? I always buy quite a few bananas on the weekend and take them to work for a snack during the week. But sometimes I end up with a few overripe bananas that I hate to just throw away.
Occasionally I will slice them up and freeze them for smoothies, but lately I’ve been trying to find new ways to bake with them in a little bit of a healthier way. I decided to start with a healthier banana bread recipe, and I have to tell you I’m so happy with how this turned out. It is sooo good!
The best thing about this bread is that it’s moist and perfectly sweet, but it’s not overloaded with oil, butter, or sugar. You can serve this for breakfast, a snack, or dessert and feel good about eating it too.
This is a simple healthier banana bread recipe, and the ingredients list doesn’t deviate too much from a classic banana bread. Here’s what you’ll need to make this banana bread with wheat flour:
- White whole wheat flour: Can be found alongside the all-purpose flour in the baking aisle. If you can’t find any white whole wheat flour, you may replace it with 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour.
- Baking soda: Helps the bread rise in the oven.
- Salt: Balances out the sweetness of the batter.
- Oil: Feel free to use canola, vegetable, or melted coconut oil.
- Honey: Sweetens this healthier banana bread.
- Brown sugar: To keep this bread on the lighter side, I only used 1/4 cup of brown sugar. For the entire loaf, it’s really not much sugar.
- Greek yogurt: Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream can be used.
- Eggs: Need to be at room temperature before making the batter.
- Vanilla extract: Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Bananas: You’ll need three ripe bananas for this recipe, which is about 1 1/4 cups.
How to Make Whole Wheat Banana Bread
You’ll start with the white whole wheat flour. Have you tried it before? I’m completely obsessed with it and I love using it to bake with when I’m baking a little bit healthier. You’ll mix the flour with a little baking soda and some salt and set it aside.
Then you’ll mix together the wet ingredients, a little bit of oil, brown sugar, honey, Greek yogurt (sour cream works just fine too), a couple of eggs, some vanilla, and three large mashed bananas.
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet, then pour the batter into a 9×5-inch loaf pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
How Long Will It Last?
If stored in an airtight container at room temperature, this homemade whole wheat banana bread will last up to 4 days.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, this banana bread with whole wheat flour freezes well, so you can make a loaf, slice it up, and freeze it to enjoy throughout the week! I recommend wrapping the slices tightly with plastic wrap and storing them in a freezer bag or container in the freezer. Thaw to room temperature before serving or reheat individual slices in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.
- If needed, cover the bread loosely with foil for the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking to prevent the bread from becoming too browned.
- I kept this easy healthy banana bread recipe simple, but you’re welcome to add mix-ins like chopped nuts, chocolate chips, dried fruit, etc.
- I’ve only sweetened this simple banana bread with honey and brown sugar, but you may be able to use maple syrup in place of the honey.
More Banana Recipes to Try!
Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups (190 grams) white whole wheat flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil (canola, vegetable, or melted coconut oil work fine)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup (50 g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 g) plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large ripe bananas , mashed well (about 1 1/4 cups mashed banana)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, brown sugar, Greek yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until fully combined. Add in the mashed banana and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes (mine is usually perfect right at 45 minutes) or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil for the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking if needed to prevent the bread from becoming too browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!