Chicken Enchilada Casserole
An easy to prepare chicken enchilada casserole with only five ingredients. Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or Cinco de Mayo!
During the week I tend to prefer quick and easy dinners options. I do love cooking, but the thought of whipping up a difficult dinner after being at work all day is a little exhausting. And now that Josh and I are working the same hours we can actually cook dinner together!
Well it’s more like he tries to help, I get frustrated, then finish dinner by myself. I’m still working on that one.
But in all honesty it is kind of nice to have him home in the evenings. Lately, I’ve been trying to find dinner options that are easy to make together. Especially because there are other important things to do, like go to the dog park and binge watch TV shows on Netflix.
I’m only kidding. Sort of. But, this dinner is definitely easy to make and comes together quickly! If you cook your chicken ahead of time, then all you have to do is layer, bake, and eat. Now that sounds like my kind of dinner!
The ingredients list for this chicken enchilada bake is super simple. Here’s what you will be using:
- Tortillas: We prefer using corn tortillas, but flour tortillas work as well.
- Chicken: Needs to be cooked and shredded ahead of time. A store-bought rotisserie chicken would come in handy here!
- Shredded cheese: I used colby jack, but any kind will work.
- Refried beans: You can use another kind of bean, if desired.
- Enchilada sauce: Spicy or mild enchilada sauce will work.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This is such an easy chicken enchilada casserole to make! Simply spread some enchilada sauce into the bottom of an 8×8-inch baking dish, then begin layering your ingredients.
The tortillas go down first, followed by the refried beans, chicken, and cheese. Repeat this layering process until the ingredients are all used up.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until warmed through and bubbling!
Can I Add Extra Veggies?
Of course! Feel free to saute some veggies before layering them into this chicken enchilada bake.
Can I Double This Recipe?
Yes, very easily. To double this chicken enchilada casserole recipe, simply double the ingredients list and bake it in a 9×13-inch pan.
- This chicken enchilada casserole is great served with this Mexican rice as well.
- This easy enchilada casserole can also be made with shredded beef or pork. Use whatever you have on hand!
- To make this vegetarian, omit the chicken and use an extra can of beans. (Check to make sure the beans are vegetarian, not all are).
More Easy Mexican Dinners to Try!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 cups chicken , cooked and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used colby jack, any kind will work)
- 1 (15-ounce) can refried beans
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray an 8x8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish and spread around. Layer two of the corn tortillas on top (I cut mine in half first, but this is optional).
- Spread half of the refried beans on top of the corn tortillas, followed by half of the chicken. Add 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese on top and then about 1/3 of the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Repeat layers one more time, then top with the two remaining tortillas, the rest of the enchilada sauce, and the last 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before cutting.
Slightly adapted from Pinch of Yum.