An easy to prepare chicken enchilada casserole with only five ingredients. Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or Cinco de Mayo!
During the week I tend to prefer quick and easy dinners options. I do love cooking, but the thought of whipping up a difficult dinner after being at work all day is a little exhausting. And now that Josh and I are working the same hours (you guys, it’s totally weird) we can actually cook dinner together!
Well it’s more like he tries to help, I get frustrated, then finish dinner by myself.
I’m still working on that one.
But in all honesty it is kind of nice to have him home in the evenings. Lately, I’ve been trying to find dinner options that are easy to make together. Especially because there are other important things to do, like go to the dog park and binge watch TV shows on Netflix.
I’m only kidding. Sort of. But, this dinner is definitely easy to make and comes together quickly! If you cook your chicken ahead of time, then all you have to do is layer, bake, and eat. Now that sounds like my kind of dinner!
This chicken enchilada casserole is also great served with this Mexican rice as well. I seriously can’t stop making that stuff, sooo good. Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 cups chicken cooked and shredded
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheese I used colby jack, any kind will work
- 1 15 oz. can refried beans
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish and spread around. Layer two of the corn tortillas on top (I cut mine in half first, but this is optional).
- Spread half of the refried beans on top of the corn tortillas, followed by half of the chicken. Add 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese on top and then about 1/3 of the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Repeat layers one more time, then top with the two remaining tortillas, the rest of the enchilada sauce, and the last 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve and enjoy!
Slightly adapted from Pinch of Yum