These baked cream cheese chicken taquitos are a healthier alternative to your average store bought frozen taquitos. These taquitos come together in no time and can be frozen and reheated to eat anytime!
You guys. These taquitos are the jam!
I know, I know.
But trust me on this one, these are so insanely easy to make and they taste pretty incredible.
Josh and I have this tradition where every night that a new episode of The Walking Dead comes on we eat taquitos. I’m all giddy with excitement just waiting for the next season of The Walking Dead! Any other TWD fans out there?
Anyways, about these taquitos. I’m cringing a little admitting this, but we eat the frozen kind from a box. A food blogger who eats prepackaged frozen food.. it happens. We eat pretty healthy during the week, so come Sunday at 8:00 pm for 16 weeks it’s taquito time!
The other day when we were in the store looking for salsa ingredients, I asked Josh what else I should make for the blog. His response? “You should make those taquitos so I can eat them with that salsa.”
Well, you don’t have to ask me twice!
Once we left the grocery store I came home, grabbed a bunch of stuff, and then threw it all into a bowl and mixed it up. I asked Josh to taste a little and see what it needed. He looked shocked (yes, shocked) and said they tasted like the real deal.
Um.. what? No way?! I took a little bite and was blown away. It really did taste just like I remembered. Let it be known, that will probably be the last time I ever throw a bunch of random stuff into a bowl and it turns out good on the first try. After Josh ate a few of these he told me he liked knowing he was eating real chicken.
Me too. Me too.
The great thing about these taquitos is that they can be frozen and then baked whenever you’re ready to eat them! These make a great dinner idea and are perfect for kids and adults. You can also make these a little lighter by using corn tortillas. If you decide to use corn tortillas be sure to read the notes section of the recipe since they can be a little harder to work with. Hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
Baked Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos
- 8-10 flour or corn tortillas*
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 2 oz. cream cheese softened (reduced fat will work)*
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey-jack cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced (1/2 tsp.)
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil (spray well if using foil) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, cream cheese, Monterey-jack cheese, garlic, salsa verde, and ground cumin until well combined. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Spoon two tablespoons of the chicken mixture into each tortilla. Roll each tortilla tightly and place seam side down on the baking sheet. You can secure the tortillas with toothpicks to hold them together a little better.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, broil for the last minute or two to get them a little more crispy.
- Serve immediately.
To soften cream cheese quickly, microwave for 15-30 seconds.
Freeze taquitos for up to two months in an air tight bag.
Looking for something to serve these taquitos with?
Try my Restaurant Style Salsa (only 10 minutes to make!)
These also go great with this Quick and Easy Guacamole (less than 10 minutes to whip up as well!)