These baked cream cheese chicken taquitos are a healthier alternative to your average store-bought frozen taquitos. These taquitos come together in no time and can be frozen and reheated to eat anytime!
You guys. These homemade taquitos are the jam! I know, I know. But trust me on this one, these are so insanely easy to make and they taste pretty incredible.
Josh and I have this tradition where every night that a new episode of The Walking Dead comes on we eat taquitos. I’m all giddy with excitement just waiting for the next season of The Walking Dead! Any other TWD fans out there?
Anyways, about these cream cheese taquitos. I’m cringing a little admitting this, but we eat the frozen kind from a box. A food blogger who eats prepackaged frozen food.. it happens. We eat pretty healthy during the week, so come Sunday at 8:00 pm for 16 weeks it’s taquito time!
The other day when we were in the store looking for salsa ingredients, I asked Josh what else I should make for the blog. His response? “You should make taquitos so I can eat them with that salsa.”
Well, you don’t have to ask me twice!
Once we left the grocery store I came home, grabbed a bunch of stuff, and then threw it all into a bowl and mixed it up. I asked Josh to taste a little and see what it needed. He looked shocked (yes, shocked) and said they tasted like the real deal.
Um.. what? No way?! I took a little bite and was blown away. It really did taste just like I remembered. Let it be known, that will probably be the last time I ever throw a bunch of random stuff into a bowl and it turns out good on the first try. After Josh ate a few of these he told me he liked knowing he was eating real chicken.
Me too. Me too.
These baked chicken taquitos require just seven simple ingredients and come together in 30 minutes. Here’s what we’ll be using to make them:
- Tortillas: Corn or flour tortillas can be used in this recipe. Note that corn tortillas are harder to work with, so I prefer to use flour tortillas.
- Chicken: You’ll need pre-cooked, shredded chicken for these chicken and cream cheese taquitos.
- Cream cheese: Should be softened to room temperature.
- Shredded cheese: I used Monterey-Jack cheese, but any shredded cheese will work.
- Garlic: Adds lots of flavor.
- Salsa verde: Use your favorite store-bought brand.
- Spices: I kept the spices simple and used just ground cumin, salt, and pepper.
How to Make Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos
Simply mix together the chicken, cream cheese, Monterey-jack cheese, garlic, salsa verde, and ground cumin until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Fill each tortilla with the chicken mixture, then roll tightly and place seam-side down on a foil-lined baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes, or until as golden and crispy as desired.
Can I Freeze These Taquitos?
Yes! If you’re planning to freeze the chicken taquitos for later, just prepare them as stated in the recipe but do not bake them. Line them on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze them for about 30 minutes (this will prevent them from sticking together), then put them in a freezer bag.
Once you’re ready to bake them, just put them in the oven and bake them as the recipe states. Depending on your oven, you may need to bake them a few extra minutes if baking them from frozen.
- The great thing about these taquitos is that they can be frozen and then baked whenever you’re ready to eat them!
- You can make these a little lighter by using corn tortillas. If you decide to use corn tortillas, be sure to read the notes section of the recipe since they can be a little harder to work with.
- I highly recommend serving these baked taquitos with homemade guacamole and / or salsa.
More Easy Mexican Dinners to Try!
Baked Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos
- 8-10 flour or corn tortillas*
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 2 ounces cream cheese , softened (reduced fat will work)*
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey-Jack cheese
- 1 clove garlic , minced (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil (spray well if using foil) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, cream cheese, Monterey-Jack cheese, garlic, salsa verde, and ground cumin until well combined. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into each tortilla. Roll each tortilla tightly and place seam side down on the baking sheet. You can secure the tortillas with toothpicks to hold them together a little better.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, broil for the last minute or two to get them a little more crispy.
- Serve immediately.