These skinny lemon blueberry cheesecake bars are lightened up using greek yogurt and less sugar. Perfect for when you’re craving something sweet, but want something a little lighter.
One of the most popular recipes on my blog are these lemon raspberry cheesecake squares and for good reason! They’re insanely delicious and one of my favorite recipes as well. I think it’s safe to say that a lot of people love the combination of lemons and berries.
I’ve had a lemon blueberry cheesecake recipe on my mind for a while now, but I wanted to change it up a little. So, instead of the usual cheesecake recipe I decided to try to lighten it up a bit. You know, because summer is just around the corner and lighter desserts are always welcome in my home.
I have experience with making cheesecakes, but never a lighter version. After doing a quick search, I came across these Skinny Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars from Sally’s Baking Addiction and changed it up a little.
Now these cheesecake bars aren’t exactly health food, but they are much better for you than your average cheesecake recipe.
First, instead of butter in the crust we’re going to use coconut oil. I love to use coconut oil whenever possible, but if you don’t have any coconut oil on hand then butter will also work just fine. For the filling we’re using a combination of reduced fat cream cheese and greek yogurt. Just a work of advice, make sure to use reduced fat cream cheese not fat free. I used 2% plain greek yogurt in these bars to make them a little richer, but 0% will also work as well. Now these bars still have sugar in them, but we’re cutting it down to only 1/3 cup for the entire batch!
Although these bars are lighter, they are still incredibly rich and they taste delicious. These bars also freeze well, just thaw them overnight in the fridge for a sweet treat.
These would also be great to bring as a lighter dessert option to a party. I can guarantee that no one will know they’re lighter either!
Skinny Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars
- 5 full-sheet graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or melted butter
- 1 8 ounce package reduced fat cream cheese softened (do not use fat free)
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt I used 2%
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour OR all purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving some overhang on the sides, and set aside.
To make the crust:
- Using a food processor, process the graham crackers until you have fine crumbs. Add in the melted coconut oil and pulse until well combined.
- Scoop the graham cracker mixture into the prepared baking pan and press down. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
To make the filling:
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese and greek yogurt until smooth. Beat in the sugar and mix until well combined. Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, flour, and egg whites one at a time and mix until fully combined.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the cheesecake mixture.
- Pour the filling over the crust and return to the oven. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature. Transfer to the refrigerator and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Cut into bars, serve, and enjoy!
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction