These no bake chocolate peanut butter granola bars are made with just a few healthy ingredients and easy to make! These bars make a perfect snack or quick breakfast for those who are on the go.
Maybe it’s just me, but the start of a new year always feels like such a fresh start. While I’ve come to realize I’m absolutely horrible at sticking with New Year’s resolutions, I still love when January rolls around. I feel like I’m more productive.. even if it only lasts for a month.
After all of the holiday treats we’ve been eating around here, I’ve finally realized I need a little more balance in my eating habits. While I love baking desserts (and eating them), I do enjoy eating healthier too. This past weekend I had planned to make a batch of my no bake peanut butter granola bars, but decided to experiment with a chocolate version instead.
I reduced the amount of quick oats and crisp rice cereal and added in some cocoa powder. These bars ended up turning out better than I expected! The mini chocolate chips are totally optional in these, but I highly recommend them. Who doesn’t love a little extra chocolate?
I love eating one of these for a quick snack or for those mornings when I’m running out the door. Actually, that’s more like every morning..
I do suggest storing these bars in the refrigerator, since they become a little softer when left at room temperature. The good news is that they taste even better straight from the fridge!
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups quick oats* (170 grams)
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the peanut butter and honey. Microwave for about 20-30 seconds or until just warm enough to mix together. Mix until fully combined.
- Add in the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt and mix well.
- Stir in the quick oats until fully combined and then add the crisp rice cereal and mini chocolate chips. The mixture should be thick, but if you feel it is a little too thick you can add a little less than a full cup of the cereal.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Using your hands, firmly press the mixture into the pan.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until the bars are set enough to cut into bars. Remove the aluminum foil/parchment paper from the pan and cut into 10-12 bars.
Store bars in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.