Valentine’s Day Brownies
Ultra fudgy M&M’s brownies with chocolate chips thrown in for good measure. These are the perfect Valentine brownies!
When it comes to brownies, I have one major requirement. The brownies must be fudgy. I’m really not a fan of cake-like brownies, because they taste like cake. Not that they’re necessarily bad or anything, but if I want cake I’ll have a slice of cake. But when it comes to brownies, I prefer the rich and thick, fudgy kind of brownies.
This M&M’s and chocolate chip brownies recipe comes from these fudgy peanut butter cup brownies, which are also amazing. I absolutely love this recipe because it’s simple, yet still tastes just as good as the box mixes. You can literally make these brownies in just about as much time as it would take you to make a box mix too.
Aside from the M&M’s, you probably have most of the ingredients to make these right now. These are a perfect quick and easy dessert to make for Valentine’s Day. I took part of the batch to my parents and sister, and my niece was so excited about them. Apparently, brownies with M&M’s are the best thing ever to a three-year-old. Who would have thought? I can guarantee that everyone will love these brownies!
What’s Needed for This Recipe
You’re likely familiar with the ingredients needed to make this easy Valentine’s dessert, but let’s go over them.
- Butter: Gives the brownies a melt-in-your mouth texture. I recommend using unsalted butter.
- Sugar: Sweetens the brownies.
- Eggs: Should be room temperature before being added to the batter.
- Vanilla extract: Adds lots of flavor. Pure vanilla extract is best.
- All-purpose flour: Make sure to spoon and level the flour so you don’t end up with cakey brownies.
- Cocoa powder: Needs to be sifted to remove any lumps.
- Salt: Enhances the chocolate flavor and balances out the sweetness from the sugar.
- Chocolate chips: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but any kind will work.
- M&M’s: I used red and pink M&M’s, but you can use any color you have on hand.
How to Make Valentine Brownies
These M&M’s brownies are a breeze to make! Simply whisk together the melted butter and sugar (this gives the brownies that crackly top everyone loves!). Then, stir in the eggs and vanilla.
Gently stir in the dry ingredients, just until everything is combined. Fold in the chocolate chips before turning the batter into a foil-lined 8×8-inch baking pan. Top with M&M’s before baking.
You’ll know the brownies are done when the edges start to pull away from the pan and the center looks cooked.
Can I Use Other Mix-Ins?
Yes! These Valentine brownies are very versatile. If you’re not a fan of M&M’s, you can definitely replace them with something else you like instead.
- Don’t overcook the brownies! You’ll know they’re ready to come out when the edges start to pull away from the pan and the center looks set.
- I recommend letting the brownies cool completely so they are easier to slice.
- I made these as Valentine’s Day brownies, but they can be made for any holiday. Just use different colored M&M’s!
More Valentine’s Day Dessert Ideas!
- Chocolate Mousse
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes (for two!)
- Classic Red Velvet Cake
Valentine's Day Brownies
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) unsalted butter , melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs , at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) all purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) cocoa powder , sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (95 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving some overhang. If using foil, spray well with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs, making sure to mix well after each one. Mix in the vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared baking pan (the batter will be very thick). Evenly sprinkle the M&M's over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. You will know the brownies are finished when the edges start to slightly pull away and the top looks done.
- Allow to cool completely and cut into squares.