This avocado chicken salad is perfect for avocado lovers! Serve this on a whole wheat bun or wrap for a lighter option.
Every time Josh and I go grocery shopping, we always pick up avocados. We usually make this guacamole at least once a week and then use any avocados we have left over on sandwiches. But lately, I’ve kind of developed this obsession with adding avocados to everything. There are worse obsessions to have though… right?
I tend to be a creature of habit, so my usual homemade chicken salad has sweeter ingredients like chopped apples, grapes, or cranberries. But then there are times that I like to live on the edge and change things up a bit — like add avocados to my chicken salad.
Crazy, I know.
If you already have some precooked chicken, this healthy chicken salad is a breeze to make. Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
Avocado Chicken Salad Ingredients
This healthy chicken salad comes together with minimal ingredients and can be whipped up at a moment’s notice. Here’s what you’ll need to make this homemade chicken salad recipe:
- Avocado: For the best flavor and texture, use a ripe avocado. If it’s green under the stem, then it’s ripe. The avocado shouldn’t be mushy, but it should give just a little when you press into it.
- Cooked chicken: Feel free to use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken to make things even easier.
- Mayonnaise: You need just a few tablespoons to create an ultra creamy and flavorful chicken salad.
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed lime juice is best. Roll your lime on the counter before cutting it to get more juice out of it.
- Garlic powder: Just 1/4 teaspoon is all that’s needed to add a little flavor to this dish.
- Salt and pepper: Add salt and pepper to taste.
How to Make Avocado Chicken Salad
This is such an easy chicken salad recipe! Just add all the ingredients to a bowl, stir, and season to taste. I prefer to mix everything together very well. The more you mix, the creamier the avocado will be in this chicken salad.
How to Cook Chicken for Chicken Salad
I always make my chicken a little ahead of time and season it with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder, cook it in a skillet, then chop it up. It’s simple, but perfect in this recipe. I’m sure some chopped rotisserie chicken would work well too.
How Long is Chicken Salad Good for?
This avocado chicken salad will last up to 3 days if stored in the fridge in an airtight container. Note that the avocado will oxidize (turn brown) over time. That’s normal and won’t affect the flavor.
Can You Freeze Chicken Salad?
Normally, yes. However, since this healthier chicken salad is made with avocado I don’t recommend freezing it.
- If you prefer a creamier chicken salad, just be sure to mix everything together very well. The more you mix, the creamier the avocado will be in this recipe.
- I love to serve this on croissants, but whole wheat buns or wraps work well too.
- You can use chopped or shredded chicken to make this creamy chicken salad. Use whichever you prefer!
More Easy Salad Recipes to Try!
Avocado Chicken Salad
- 2 cups chicken , cooked and chopped
- 1 large avocado
- 3 tablespoons mayo (use more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper , to taste
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, mayo, lime juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Cut the avocado in half and dice into small pieces. Scoop the avocado out into the bowl and stir all of the ingredients together until it has reached your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Serve and enjoy!