A delicious and fun spin on pasta salad – this Spinach Artichoke Tortellini Salad is a perfect side dish to bring along to any party!
One of the things I love most about this time of year is having friends over and grilling. When it comes to side dishes though, one of my favorites is definitely the pasta salads. I realized the other day that it’s been almost one year since the last time I posted a pasta salad recipe. One year! How did that even happen?
So, I had an idea in mind and started making a list of stuff to buy. When I told Josh he quickly responded and told me that I should try a spinach artichoke version instead.
Wait. What? That’s a great idea! Why didn’t I think of that?
So I completely scratched my original plan and went for this version instead. After seeing my friend Sarah posted this amazing Mediterranean Tortellini Pasta Salad, I knew it was time to make my own tortellini version! I threw in some fresh spinach and artichoke hearts (there are some hiding in there, I promise), along with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese. Don’t skip the cheese, it really makes this dish!
I used half spinach cheese and half regular cheese filled tortellini, but you can use whichever you prefer. Also, if you’re looking to make this more of a filling dinner instead you can add some chopped chicken to it as well.
With the dressing, I always try to find a good balance with the ingredients. But feel free to mix the dressing together, then taste it, and adjust it to your preference.
Once you cook the tortellini, this pasta salad is simple to throw together! You can easily make this ahead of time and refrigerate it until you’re ready to serve.
Spinach Artichoke Tortellini Salad
- 1 20-ounce package tortellini
- 3 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook tortellinis according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, chop the baby spinach and artichoke hearts and add them to a large bowl. Add in the shredded Parmesan cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, and thyme. Add salt and pepper. Taste and adjust to your preference.
- Once the tortellinis have cooled, add them to the bowl with the spinach, artichokes, and cheese. Toss to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta salad and stir well to make sure everything is coated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Adapted from Food Network