These quick and easy turnovers are made with puff pastry and stuffed with strawberries and cream cheese. These Strawberry Cream Cheese Turnovers make a perfect breakfast or dessert!
Do you remember these apple turnovers I posted a while back? Ever since I posted them, I’ve been thinking of new ideas for turnovers. With spring just around the corner, I felt like a berry version was in order.
So I made a strawberry turnover and then stuffed it with a cream cheese filling. Because it’s a proven fact that cream cheese makes everything better.
At least it does for me.
The turnovers are actually pretty easy to make since they start with frozen puff pastry. I love to keep some puff pastry on hand in my freezer for times when I need it, it’s seriously amazing! While it’s thawing out is the perfect time to get the filling ready to go.
The filling starts with a mixture of strawberries, a little sugar, and a bit of cornstarch to thicken up the mixture as it bakes. I’ve made these turnovers a couple of times (quality control purposes..) and I’ve found that two tablespoons of sugar is just enough. You’ll want to mix up the strawberry mixture until everything is nice and combined.
Then comes the cream cheese mixture, just a little bit of cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Once you have that mixed up, you’ll unroll your puff pastry and slice each piece into four squares. I like to use a pizza cutter to do this part, but a sharp knife will work just fine too.
Then you’ll fill each piece with the strawberry mixture and cream cheese mixture. It will be enough to fill each turnover nice and full, but not too full to where you can’t close them.
Once that’s done, I like to brush each turnover with an egg white that’s been lightly whisked right before baking them. The glaze on top is optional, but highly recommended and it takes less than a minute to mix together.
Once I finished taking pictures of these, I gave some to my in-laws and they were immediately asking for the recipe. I can guarantee that you will love these too!
- 1 (17.3 ounce) package puff pastry, thawed according to packing directions (2 sheets)
- 1 and ½ cups chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unroll both pieces of the thawed puff pastry and cut each one into four squares (you will have 8 square pieces total). Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the chopped strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix until fully combined.
- Evenly distribute the strawberry mixture and cream cheese mixture between each piece of puff pastry, making sure to spoon the mixture closer towards one corner.
- Gently fold the other corner over, making sure to keep the mixture inside, and then crimp with a fork to seal. Brush each turnover with the egg white.
- Bake at 400°F for 17-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract to a small mixing bowl and mix until everything is well combined. If needed, add more milk to thin out the glaze or add more powdered sugar to thicken it up a bit.
- Evenly distribute the glaze between all of the turnovers.
Be sure to try my Apple Turnovers next!