Chocolate Strawberry Nutella Turnovers
Puff pastry stuffed with chocolate, Nutella, and fresh strawberries. These Chocolate Strawberry Nutella Turnovers make one delicious and decadent dessert!
Talk about a name for a recipe, right?! Ever since I made these strawberry cream cheese turnovers, I’ve been dying to make another version. I thought the strawberries would pair well with some chocolate, but I felt like the turnovers needed just a little something extra.
So I stuffed them with Nutella. Enough said.
I always use store bought puff pastry when making turnovers because it’s just so much easier. You’ll let the puff pastry thaw until it’s easy enough to handle, unroll it, slice it, stuff it, bake it. So easy.
For the filling in these turnovers, you’ll mix up the strawberries with a little bit of sugar and cornstarch. I prefer to add some cornstarch to the strawberries because they can release a lot of juice when baking and it helps to prevent the turnovers from becoming soggy. You’ll toss the strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch together in a bowl and set it aside while you chop the chocolate.
For the chocolate in this recipe, I used a bar of semi-sweet chocolate. If you love dark chocolate or milk chocolate, you can feel free to use either one instead. Chocolate chips would probably work too, but keep in mind that they have stabilizers in them and may not melt as well.
And then of course, the Nutella! I’ve never been the type of person that eats Nutella out of the jar. I know. But, I do love using it when I’m baking because it is absolutely delicious in almost any baked good.
For the topping, I melted some chocolate with a little Nutella. The topping can get a little messy if the turnovers are warm, but I mean, is melty chocolate really a bad thing?
I really wish I could’ve gotten a better picture of that filling. But trust me when I say that it is amazing. Imagine a chocolate covered strawberry with Nutella stuffed inside a flaky and buttery crust. Seriously one of the best desserts and so easy too!
Chocolate Strawberry Nutella Turnovers
For the turnovers
- 1 17.3-ounce package frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate roughly chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
For the glaze:
- 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate roughly chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon Nutella optional
To make the turnovers:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- Unroll both pieces of puff pastry and slice each piece into four equal sized squares, you will end up with 8 square pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the strawberries, granulated sugar, and cornstarch until all of the berries are well coated. Evenly distribute the strawberries, chocolate, and Nutella between all 8 pieces of puff pastry, making sure to keep the filling a little closer to one corner. Fold the other corner over the filling, making sure to keep the filling tucked inside, and crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
- Brush the top of each turnover with the egg white and place the turnovers onto the prepared baking sheet. I usually bake these in two separate batches. Bake at 400°F for 15-18 minutes or until puffed and lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
To make the glaze:
- Add the chopped chocolate and Nutella to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 20-30 second increments, making sure to stir well after each increment, until melted and smooth. Top each turnover with the glaze.
Love turnovers? Try my Strawberry Cream Cheese Turnovers next.
And these Apple Turnovers too.
We are totally on the same page today! LOVE the Nutella and strawberry combination!
It’s soo good, right?!
I’m pretty sure the only thing better than a flaky turnover is a flaky turnover filled with chocolate, strawberries and nutella! These look amazing and i’m pretty sure they will dissapear in record time! Cheers and thanks for sharing the YUM!
These turnovers are getting me so excited for weekend brunch! And I’m totally loving the nutella in there 🙂
These look amazing! I cannot get enough of Nutella!
Does it get any better? Nutella AND pastry! These look amazing Danielle! Pinned.
I almost think it doesn’t get much better! 😉 Thanks, Jess!
I am totally the type of person that eats Nutella straight from the jar, which is why I hardly ever buy it…unless I’m going to bake with it! These turnovers look SO good, Danielle! I love the sweet strawberries in here, too. Sounds so good for a sweet breakfast or dessert!
I’m starting to feel like I could turn into the type of person who does eat it out of the jar. It’s delicious! Thanks, Gayle!
Oh man, you seriously make the BEST turnovers, Danielle! I want to snatch all that gooey nutella + chocolate + berry goodness straight outta my screen!
Thank you, Sarah! Wish I could’ve shared some with you!
These turnovers look SO good, and so pretty too! The combination of the strawberries and nutella sounds delicious!
Whoa!!! That’s some kind of stunnig turnovers! This blast of deliciousness is singing all things summer!
Strawberry and Nutella are the match made in heaven.
Thank you, Anu!
Thank you, Maxime!
I’ve planned to make it for friends. How to store it? How long can you keep it? Also, Is it still tast good The day after baked?
You can store them in an airtight container on the counter for a day or two. But I suggest serving them the same day or right after baking, since they taste best then! 🙂
hi can they be frozen unbaked
I’m not sure, I haven’t tried freezing these yet.
Hi Danielle!! Love the recipe!! I can see I’m not the only one who LOVES chocolate and strawberry put together. This is a lovely recipe!! Will definitely try it soon.