Easy homemade apple turnovers made with puff pastry and a delicious apple filling. Perfect for breakfast or dessert!
When I was growing up, we always had some apple turnovers in our freezer. My dad absolutely loves them, in fact, I think he loves anything with apples. I can’t blame him though, apple turnovers are seriously delicious. They’re almost like dessert, but totally acceptable for breakfast.
It wasn’t until I was a little older and realized how easy it is to make your own apple turnovers at home. Seriously, almost too easy!
To keep these quick and easy, I use store bought puff pastry and let it thaw out. Once the puff pastry is thawed out, you’ll unroll both pieces and cut each one into four squares.
Then you’ll mix up your apple filling, just some chopped apples, sugar, and a little bit of flour and cinnamon. You’ll need two medium apples for this recipe, feel free to use whichever kinds you prefer. I used one granny smith apple and one gala apple and they worked perfectly in these turnovers!
Then distribute the apple filling between all eight pieces of puff pastry, fold it over, and crimp it with a fork. Once you’re done with that, just pop them in the oven for about 15-18 minutes until they’re lightly golden brown.
Because apples turnovers aren’t complete without a glaze, I mixed one up to add to these too. Just a simple mixture of powdered sugar (aka confectioners sugar), vanilla, and a little milk to thin it out is all that you will need.
Between the flaky puff pastry and the sweet apple filling, these apple turnovers are guaranteed to be loved by everyone. They’re even perfect served warm with a little ice cream. Yes!
- 1 (17.3-ounce) package puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 2 medium apples peeled, cored, and chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk or more as needed to thin out the glaze
To make the apple turnovers:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unroll both pieces of thawed puff pastry, cut each one into four squares (you'll have eight total pieces).
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the chopped apple, sugar, flour, and cinnamon and mix until everything is well combined.
- Spoon the apple filling into one corner of the puff pastry (about 1/4 cup for each piece), fold the other corner over, then crimp with a fork to seal.
- Brush each turnover with the egg white.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
To make the vanilla glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. If needed, add a bit more milk to thin out the glaze.
- Evenly distribute the glaze between all of the turnovers.
More apple recipes!