An easy homemade stove top hot chocolate recipe that’s ready in 10 minutes. So delicious, you’ll never want to buy the store bought packages again!
I still can’t believe that this year is almost over! Now that the weather has officially turned freezing cold, the only thing that sounds good is a huge mug of hot chocolate. Oh and a jacket. Actually, once November is here I wear a jacket whenever possible. Like even inside my house with the heater on.
Just me? Tell me I’m not the only one?
Although I’m not a huge fan of the cold weather, it does give me a good reason to drink as much hot chocolate as humanly possible. Only kidding. Sort of.
I actually had intentions of sharing a hot cocoa mix recipe, but after a few batches, I just couldn’t find one that I loved. After a little frustration, I decided to try a recipe for hot chocolate that could easily be made on the stove instead. Can I just say that I’m sooooo glad I did?
The best part about this hot chocolate recipe is that you probably have most of the ingredients right at home. There is half of a bar of milk chocolate in this recipe and while you could probably leave it out, I highly recommend it. The hot chocolate tastes so much more rich and creamy with it!
Oh, and did I mention that it only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish to make this hot chocolate? Easy and delicious, now that’s my kind of recipe! Enjoy!
Stove Top Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups milk*
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ of a 1.55oz. milk chocolate bar I used Hershey's
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: Splash of vanilla extract
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. In a small bowl whisk together the cocoa powder, granulated sugar, and salt. Pour one cup of the milk into the sauce pan and add the cocoa powder and sugar mixture. Whisk until smooth and all of the lumps are removed.
- Add the remaining milk and whisk together well. Heat the hot chocolate mixture until very warm, but do not boil.
- Remove the hot chocolate from the heat and add ½ of a bar of milk chocolate. Mix until the chocolate is melted. Add vanilla if desired.
- Pour the hot chocolate into mugs and enjoy!
Adapted from Hershey