This Saltine Toffee candy is made with just 5 ingredients and so simple to make. Perfect for an easy treat during the holidays!
The holidays are fast approaching and the only thing on my mind right now is candy, pies, and cookies galore. So today I’m sharing one of my favorite easy candy recipes, saltine toffee.
Saltine toffee may sound a little strange, but I promise it’s actually really delicious. The saltines are surrounded by a layer of toffee and topped with chocolate and pecans. And if you’re thinking this may be difficult to make, I can assure you it’s actually really easy.
You only need five ingredients to make this saltine toffee (yes, FIVE!). This recipe also makes a large batch of candy that’s perfect for gift giving or bringing to parties during the holidays. You can even swap out the pecans on top with sprinkles or simply leave them off. However you make it, this is one candy recipe you’ll want to keep on hand year round.
To make this candy, you’ll start out with a sleeve of Saltine crackers and line them up on a rimmed baking sheet. One important thing, make sure to use a baking sheet with sides – a rimmed baking sheet or half sheet. The toffee layer will spread in the oven and a rimmed baking sheet will prevent it from going over the sides of the pan.
Once you’ve prepared the saltines, you’ll melt down some butter and brown sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. I suggest stirring the mixture until it’s melted and comes to a boil. Once it’s boiling, stop stirring completely and let it boil for 3 minutes.
After the 3 minutes, you’ll pour the mixture over the saltine crackers and spread it around. Then, you’ll pop it into the oven for about 5-8 minutes. You’ll know the toffee layer is finished when it starts to bubble all over.
Once you remove it from the oven, you’ll sprinkle some chocolate chips on top and let them sit for about 5 minutes so they can melt. After the chocolate chips are softened you’ll spread the chocolate all over, sprinkle some chopped pecans on top, then refrigerate until it’s firm.
Baking Tips for Saltine Toffee
- Make sure to preheat your oven before getting started so you can place the candy in the oven as soon as you pour the toffee layer over the crackers.
- The toffee layer will spread as it bakes in the oven so be sure to use a rimmed baking sheet.
- Make sure to set your timer for 3 minutes once the butter and brown sugar comes to a boil (the top should be completely covered with bubbles).
- You can easily swap out the pecans and use sprinkles to decorate for different holidays or leave them off altogether.
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers (about 42-44 crackers)
- 1 cup (230 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (200 grams) brown sugar
- 2 cups (350 grams) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (110 grams) chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat (or aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick cooking spray). Line the saltine crackers up in rows on the prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
- Add the butter and brown sugar to a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the butter is completely melted and bring to a boil. Once boiling (the top should be completely covered in bubbles), stop stirring and allow to boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and carefully pour over the crackers on the baking sheet. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake at 350°F for 5-8 minutes or until the toffee layer is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, and allow to sit for 5 minutes to melt. Spread the chocolate over the toffee with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon, then sprinkle the chopped pecans on top.
- Transfer to the refrigerator to chill for 30-45 minutes. Break into pieces, serve, and enjoy!
Prep time includes 45 minutes of chilling time.
Slightly adapted from All Recipes
More candy recipes to try!