Homemade fudgy brownie bites filled with an easy two-ingredient caramel filling and topped with sea salt. These Salted Caramel Brownie Bites are the perfect mini dessert!
Have you ever tried brownie bites?! They’re basically a brownie in bite sized form, but they make such a cute and fun dessert. I’ve had some before at potlucks and they’re always the first dessert I choose because they’re so easy to grab and the perfect size.
This past weekend I couldn’t get the idea out of my head for making some of these brownie bites, but I felt like they just needed something extra. Something a little like.. caramel and sea salt! You guys. These are so good.
For the brownie base, I used my favorite fudgy brownie recipe. I’ve used this recipe more times than I can count and it never fails! The brownies always turn out sooooo fudgy. But this time around I used a mini muffin pan to make these mini bites.
To get that perfect spot in the center for the caramel filling, I use the bottom of a measuring teaspoon and press it down firmly. That way, you can use that same teaspoon to measure out the exact amount of caramel you need for each bite.
Also, can we talk about the gooey caramel filling? Since I wanted to keep the filling easy, I used soft caramel candies and a little bit of heavy cream. That’s it. Just add both to a large bowl and microwave to get it melted and smooth. So easy! After the caramel cools for 15-20 minutes it will firm up a little, but still stay soft. I love it.
Between the fudgy brownie base and all of that caramel, these brownie bites are a little on the sweet side. I find that the sea salt on top helps to balance out all of that sweetness.
Plus, the sea salt adds a pretty touch to the tops of these little bites too. You can easily just leave it off, but I prefer to add just a pinch to each one!
- ½ cup (115 grams) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (65 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (40 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 20 soft caramel candies, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) heavy cream
- Sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 24-count mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the butter and granulated sugar. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt and mix until just combined.
- Evenly distribute the brownie batter between all 24 mini muffin cavities. Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs. Remove from the oven and gently press in the center of each brownie with the bottom of a measuring teaspoon. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow to cool in the pan for at least 45 minutes.
- Remove the cooled brownie bites from the pan and place them back onto the wire rack.
- Add the soft caramel candies and heavy cream to a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 20-30 seconds increments, making sure to stir well after each increment, until completely melted and smooth. Evenly distribute the caramel between all 24 brownie bites (about 1 teaspoon per each brownie bite).
- Allow to cool for at least 15-20 minutes so the caramel can firm up, then top with sea salt as desired.
Love chocolate and caramel? Try my Salted Caramel Almond Turtles next!