An easy recipe for homemade magic shell with just two ingredients. The perfect topping for almost any ice cream!
So I’ve been keeping a secret from you all. This homemade magic shell recipe. Well, technically it’s only two ingredients and you can make it in the microwave, so it almost feels like it’s not a recipe. But, since there’s more than one ingredient in it we will call it a recipe.
The idea for this recipes comes from the magic shell you can buy at the store. If you haven’t tried it before, it’s basically like a chocolate topping for your ice cream that hardens up a little once it’s been on the ice cream for a few seconds. It creates a chocolate shell around the ice cream, but it still says soft enough to break apart and enjoy.
One night Josh was trying to figure out what to add to some vanilla ice cream we had in the freezer. He grabbed a bag of chocolate chips and said he would just melt them and use that on his ice cream. Until I told him he could add some coconut oil to it and make an ice cream chocolate shell .
If only you could have seen the excitement on his face when I told him that. Since then, he’s been on this mission to perfect his magic shell recipe. You guys. It’s the greatest thing ever.
This past weekend we measured everything out so I could post a recipe to share with you all!
Ingredients in This Recipe
This magic shell ice cream topping is a two-ingredient wonder. To make it, all you need is:
- Chocolate chips: I always use semi sweet chocolate chips in this recipe, but you can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate if you prefer one over the other.
- Coconut oil: Needs to be measured out while it’s solid (at room temperature or chilled).
I always have both ingredients on hand because I use them in these Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars all of the time.
How to Make Magic Shell
Simply add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 20-second intervals until smooth. Stir often to avoid burning the chocolate.
Can I Use a Chocolate Bar?
Yes, if you don’t have chocolate chips on hand you’re welcome to substitute an equal amount (190 grams) of chopped chocolate.
If you have any leftover, don’t throw it away! Just store it in an airtight container at room temperature. I usually use a mason jar to store it in. When you’re ready to enjoy some more, just stir it up again and top it on your ice cream.
I love keeping a little extra on hand for when a craving strikes. Or you can just enjoy it all to yourself!
- Once the mixture is melted in the microwave, it will make about 3/4 cup of magic shell, which is enough for 4-6 people.
- You can easily cut the recipe in half to make less or even double it.
- I used regular chocolate chips, but you can swap in almost any baking chip you’d like to make a flavored magic shell recipe.
More Ice Cream Toppings to Make!
Homemade Magic Shell
- 1 cup (190 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (measured when solid)
- Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20-30 second increments, making sure to stir very well after each increment, until completely melted and smooth.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then top on ice cream of choice.