This homemade strawberry sauce recipe is easy to make and only requires three simple ingredients. Perfect for topping on pancakes, waffles, ice cream, cheesecakes, and so much more!
Say hello to one of the easiest desserts in the world. Okay, maybe there are a few things that are a little easier to make, but this one is pretty simple.
This Homemade Strawberry Sauce only requires 3 ingredients (yes, THREE!) and it’s super simple to throw together. In fact, you only need to stir the sauce a few times as it’s cooking so there’s very little work involved. It’s also a perfect way to use up any fresh or frozen strawberries that you have on hand.
Another thing that I love about this recipe is that you can throw it together ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it. I’ve even included a few different ways that you can use this strawberry sauce at the bottom of the post too!
To make this homemade strawberry sauce, you’ll need strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
I find that fresh strawberries work best in this recipe because they hold up better, but you can use frozen strawberries. Since the frozen berries need to cook a little longer, they tend to break down more and you won’t have as many large pieces of strawberries in your sauce. I have a note in the recipe for how much frozen strawberries to use and how long to cook them also.
I use granulated sugar in this recipe because it tastes best. If your strawberries are little sweeter, you can feel free to reduce the sugar slightly.
I love to add a little bit of fresh lemon juice to this homemade strawberry sauce. The lemon juice helps to cut the sweetness and adds a little bit of fresh flavor to this sauce. You’ll only need 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, so 1 medium lemon will be plenty for this recipe. If you just have bottled lemon juice that will work fine too, but fresh is always best in my opinion!
Once you gather all of your ingredients, you’ll cook the mixture down in a saucepan until it’s thickened. Once it’s cooled, you can either use it on your favorite dessert or refrigerate the sauce until you’re ready to use it.
A few of my favorite ways to use this sauce are on top of:
Homemade Strawberry Sauce
- 1 pint fresh strawberries stems removed and sliced
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, stir together the strawberries, granulated sugar, and lemon juice until well combined.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries release their juices and the mixture starts to boil (about 5-8 minute). Then, slightly reduce the heat to low-medium heat and allow the strawberries to continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened (about 15-20 minutes).
- Once the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat and pour in a glass container and allow to cool completely. Top on your favorite dessert or refrigerate until ready to use.