Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats
These homemade peanut butter dog treats are full of wholesome ingredients. They’re super easy to make and your dog will love you for making them!
I planned this post for a reason because today is a very special day! That’s right, it’s my sweet little Benji’s 4th birthday. I’m sorry, can someone please pass me a tissue, it feels like just yesterday he was this big.
My heart just melted to the floor a little looking at these pictures. Why are puppy pictures always the cutest?! And why can’t they stay that small and cute forever?
For those of you who don’t know, Benji is a rescue and Josh adopted him when he was 10 weeks old. The two pictures on the right were ones that Josh sent me when he first met him. Benji instantly ran up and started chewing on his finger and playing with him.
Josh instantly fell in love and after a little convincing from yours truly, Benji and Josh became best friends for life. Seriously, you can’t separate the two of them. They’re like peanut butter and jelly.
I love all three of my dogs, but when it comes to my favorite? Well, Benji always wins. I think parents are secretly lying a little when they say they don’t have a favorite kid because Benji’s my favorite dog-kid.
So, in anticipation for this sweet little guy’s birthday today I got to work in the kitchen making some dog treats. Not just any dog treats, these had to meet certain criteria.
First, they had to have peanut butter. Benji is a peanut butter loving fool. Then again, what dog isn’t? Secondly, they had to be a little on the softer side. This was mostly for Baci’s sake, she’s 10 years old so soft treats are necessary. Buffy? Well, she will eat anything.
After a little time in the kitchen and three dogs running crazy at my feet, I ended up with these peanut butter oatmeal dog treats. These treats are firm enough to hold together, soft enough to chew on easily, and full of peanut butter!
After the treats had cooled off, it was finally taste testing time. Benji is a good listener, so getting him to sit still for a picture wasn’t too hard.
Sadly, right after I snapped this picture Buffy snatched that treat from my hand. Speaking of Buffy, the dog can’t sit still. She wasn’t waiting for any pictures to be taken!
Chomp! Hope your dogs enjoy these as much as my sweet pups did!
Ingredients in This Recipe
I’ve listed the ingredients for these homemade peanut butter dog treats below. Consult with your vet if you’re concerned about any of the ingredients or have questions.
- Flour: I used whole wheat flour to make these treats since it’s more nutrient dense.
- Oats: Use old-fashioned oats for this recipe. They’re also labeled as rolled oats.
- Baking powder: Prevents the treats from being too dense.
- Egg white: Save the egg yolk for another recipe, or use in your morning scrambled eggs.
- Chicken broth: I highly recommend using reduced sodium chicken broth.
- Peanut butter: Buy a natural peanut butter (i.e. one that contains just peanuts). You don’t want to feed your pup any bad-for-them ingredients.
How to Make Peanut Butter Dog Treats
I guarantee your taste testers are going to love these peanut butter and oats dog treats, so this is a very forgiving recipe! Simply mix together the flour, oats, and baking powder. Then, mix in the remaining ingredients.
Roll out the dough until it’s about half an inch thick. I cut out the dog treats using cute cookie cutters, but use whatever you have on hand.
Bake the homemade peanut butter dog treats until firm, then let them cool completely before doing a taste test.
- The peanut butter drizzle is optional but highly recommended from my three taste testers. Well, four, if we include Josh, he ate one. Not kidding.
- To make a peanut butter drizzle, simply warm some PB in the microwave until it’s soft enough to drizzle.
- Make sure your peanut butter is pure peanuts and nothing else. Some peanut butters contain additives and sweeteners that aren’t good for dogs.
More Peanut Butter Treats … for Humans!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Cake
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft & Chewy Monster Cookies
Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the whole wheat flour, oats, and baking powder. Add in the chicken stock, peanut butter, and egg white and mix until fully combined.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about 1/2" thick. Using cookie cutters (I used a bone and a heart-shaped cookie cutter), cut out pieces of dough and place them on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack.
*Please consult with your veterinarian about any possible allergies your dog may have.*