Chocolate Mug Cake
This Chocolate Mug Cake is incredibly easy to make with just a few simple ingredients and made right in the microwave. Perfect for an easy chocolate dessert!
One of the most common recipe requests I receive is for small batch desserts. Over the years, I’ve shared a few of my favorites like my small-batch chocolate chip cookies and small-batch peanut butter cookies. But today I wanted to share one that’s even easier — this simple chocolate mug cake recipe.
Unlike most of my other small-batch desserts, this microwave mug cake doesn’t require an oven. All you have to do is mix up the batter, pour it into a mug, and pop it into the microwave for a little over a minute. That’s it!
Another great thing about this recipe is that it doesn’t require any eggs and uses simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have on hand. This simple cake is perfect on its own, but I love to add a scoop of ice cream on top. I’ve included a few different topping options you can try with this cake too!
When I say this recipe is simple, I really mean it! Here’s what we’ll need to make this microwave cake in a cup:
- All-purpose flour: Be sure to spoon and level the flour when measuring it, otherwise you’ll wind up with a dense microwave mug cake.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: You can use either natural unsweetened cocoa powder or dutch-processed cocoa powder. I’ve tried it with both and they each work just fine!
- Granulated sugar: Sweetens the microwave cake without making it too sweet.
- Baking powder: Helps the cake rise as it cooks.
- Salt: You only need a tiny pinch to enhance the chocolate flavor.
- Milk: I always use whole milk because it’s what I keep on hand and gives baked goods a richer taste. That being said, 2%, 1%, skim, or even almond milk would work fine too.
- Oil: You can use canola, vegetable, or melted coconut oil.
- Vanilla extract: Use pure vanilla extract, if possible.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: I love the extra chocolate flavor they add, so I highly recommend using some if you have them on hand.
How to Make a Mug Cake
To start, you’ll need at least a 12-ounce mug. I suggest spraying the mug with nonstick cooking spray or greasing it with some butter so the cake doesn’t stick.
Then, you’ll whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, baking powder, and a tiny pinch of salt. Next, add the milk, oil, and vanilla extract and stir until just combined.
Once you’ve mixed up the cake batter, you’ll pour it into your greased mug. At this point, you can add some chocolate chips for a chocolate chip mug cake. This step is optional, but I love them!
Lastly, you’ll want to microwave the cake until the center is just set. Mine is usually perfect right at 1 minute and 15 seconds, but the cooking time will vary slightly depending on the mug you use and your microwave.
I also suggest keeping an eye on the mug cake as it’s cooking and stopping the microwave as soon as the center looks done. I’ve found that even an extra 15 seconds in the microwave can lead to a cake that’s really dry.
How Long Do You Need To Cook It?
The cook time will vary slightly based on the mug that you use and your microwave. I use a 12-ounce mug and a 1200-watt microwave and find that 1 minute and 15 seconds is the perfect amount of time.
What Are Some Different Topping Options?
If you really want to take this recipe to the next level, here are some different topping options that would pair great with this cake!
- Make sure to use a mug that is big enough as the batter will rise quite a bit in the microwave. I suggest using at least a 12-ounce mug for this recipe.
- When measuring your flour, make sure to spoon it into the measuring cup and level it off with the back of a knife.
- Keep a close eye on the cake as it’s in the microwave and cook it until the center is just set. I find that 1 minute and 15 seconds is perfect, but the amount of time may vary slightly for you.
More Small Batch Desserts to Try!
- Small Batch Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Small Batch Peanut Butter Cookies
- Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup (31 grams) all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 2 tablespoons (10 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons (40 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Tiny pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil (canola, vegetable, or melted coconut oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Grease a 12-ounce (or larger) mug with nonstick cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Add the milk, oil, and pure vanilla extract and continue mixing until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared mug and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Transfer the mug with the batter to the microwave and microwave for 60-90 seconds or until the center of the cake is just set.
- Carefully remove from the microwave (the mug will be hot!) and allow to cool slightly, then top with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!