These whole wheat blueberry muffins are filled with whole grains and bursting with fresh fruit. These blueberry muffins make a great side for breakfast or a quick snack!
It’s official, I’ve kind of become obsessed with blueberries. After making this blueberry lemon bread, I’ve been eating them any way I can. They’ve been making their way into my yogurt, salads, and now these muffins. I seriously can’t get enough of them!
I love how soft and juicy blueberries become when they’re baked, which is why I wanted to use some more in these muffins. These muffins are soft, moist, and bursting with fresh blueberries. The best part? They’re slightly sweet and much healthier than your average muffin too, clocking in at right under 150 calories a muffin. These are perfect to have with breakfast or as a snack!
These muffins are made with half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour. The combination of the two helps to keep the texture of these muffins light. I would not suggest using trying to use only whole wheat flour for this recipe, otherwise, you might end up with muffins that are much denser.
Another thing I love about these muffins is that they’re lightly sweetened with honey and coconut sugar. Have you tried it before? Coconut sugar is an unrefined sugar that has a nice caramelized flavor and has a lower glycemic index than regular sugar. The lower glycemic index basically means it doesn’t spike your blood sugar as much as regular sugar. I love baking with it when I can! If you don’t have coconut sugar, no worries. You can substitute granulated sugar or brown sugar for the coconut sugar instead.
So, if your kind of a little obsessed with blueberries lately like me, then give these sweet little blueberry muffins a try. Enjoy!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup milk any kind
- 1/4 cup oil coconut, vegetable, or canola work well
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar*
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries washed and patted dry + 1 tbsp. all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12 count muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the blueberries and tablespoon of flour together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, egg, honey, coconut sugar, and vanilla.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Make sure not to over mix the batter.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Scoop out the batter evenly into each muffin tin (about two-thirds of the way full).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.