These skinny double chocolate muffins are lightened up using Greek yogurt and less sugar!
I’m excited to share this recipe with you all today! I originally posted a recipe for skinny chocolate muffins over a year ago, when I first started blogging. Since it’s been a while, I decided to bring that recipe back to life and update the pictures and improve the recipe a little bit.
The old recipe was good, but I decided to try out a few changes and I loved how they turned out. These were too good not to share!
In the old recipe, I used applesauce to give the muffins moisture. This time around I used a little oil (only two tablespoons!) and Greek yogurt. I loved the addition of the small amount of oil and the Greek yogurt adds just a little extra protein.
I also used 1/2 cup of sugar, but split up between 12 large muffins it’s really not too bad. The rest of the sweetness in these muffins come from the honey. I loved the combination of the two and it makes these muffins perfectly sweet.
I also used white whole wheat flour in these muffins, which I love to use when I’m baking a little healthier. You can substitute it cup for cup with all-purpose flour and it worked wonderfully in these muffins.
I really don’t figure calories for recipes on the blog, but I did for these muffins. They come out to about 175 calories per muffin and pack about 5 grams of protein for each one! Not too bad, right?
These muffins also freeze really well and they’re great to keep in the freezer for when a craving hits. After about 30-45 seconds in the microwave, they’re perfectly warm and ready to be eaten.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
Skinny Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 12-count muffin pan well with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and chocolate chip.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, brown sugar, honey, milk, oil, egg, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Evenly distribute the batter between all 12 muffin cavities.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, reduce the temperature to 375 degrees (do not remove the muffins from the oven) and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then remove from the muffin pan to a wire rack to finish cooling.
More skinny recipes!