These Scotcheroos are a simple no-bake treat made with peanut butter, rice krispies, and topped with butterscotch and chocolate chips. Perfect for an easy dessert!
Have you ever tried a scotcheroo? If you’ve never heard of a scotcheroo they’re essentially a peanut butter rice krispie treat topped with a mixture of chocolate and butterscotch chips. And yes, they’re 100% delicious.
One of the things that I love about this recipe is that they’re completely no-bake. They’re also made with just 6 simple ingredients that I usually have on hand so I can whip up a batch for a quick treat whenever I need one.
I’m also sharing tips for how to make sure your scotcheroos turn out soft and perfect every single time. If you love peanut butter and chocolate you’re going to love this simple bar recipe!
As I mentioned, you only need 6 ingredients to make these scotcheroos – corn syrup, granulated sugar, peanut butter, crispy rice cereal, plus some semi-sweet and butterscotch chips. Let’s break down each of these ingredients and why they’re important to this recipe.
- Corn Syrup: The corn syrup helps to bind the peanut butter rice krispie mixture together. I recommend using light corn syrup as well.
- Granulated Sugar: There’s 1 cup of granulated sugar to help sweeten the bars.
- Peanut Butter: I recommend sticking with a creamy no-stir peanut butter like Jif or Skippy. I haven’t tried a crunchy peanut butter, but I think it would work fine in these bars too!
- Crispy Rice Cereal: I used Rice Krispies, but any cereal that is similar will work just fine.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips & Butterscotch Chips: You’ll be using a mix of the two for the topping. Feel free to use just semi-sweet chocolate chips if you prefer though.
How To Make These Bars
To make these scotcheroos, you’ll start out by combining your light corn syrup and granulated sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. You want to stir the mixture frequently as it’s heating, once the sugar is fully dissolved and it starts to boil immediately remove it from the heat.
Next, you’ll stir in 1 and 1/2 cups of peanut butter until it’s completely melted into the mixture and smooth, then mix in the cereal. I suggest mixing in half of the cereal first and then mixing in the rest so that it’s easier and you can make sure all of the cereal is coated with the peanut butter mixture.
Once all the cereal is coated, scoop the mixture into a 9×13 pan and firmly press it down into one even layer. I find that using the bottom of a measuring cup to press the mixture into the pan works best.
Then you’ll set the peanut butter mixture that’s been pressed into the pan aside while you prepare the topping. For the topping we’ll be using a mixture of semi-sweet chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
You can either use a microwave or a double boiler to melt the chips together. To make this recipe a bit easier, I prefer to combine the two in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave them in 20 second increments, stirring well after each increment, until it’s completely melted and smooth.
Once it’s melted, just spread the chocolate on top into one even layer and place the bars in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes or until the topping is firm. Once it’s fully firm, you can slice the bars and store them at room temperature.
- I suggest lining your pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil to make it easier to remove the bars from the pan. This will make it much easier to cleanup too!
- Once the corn syrup and sugar comes to a boil, immediately remove it from the heat. If you let the mixture cook for too long it can cause the bars to be hard, removing it as soon as it starts to boil will keep the bars nice and soft.
- For the topping feel free to use just semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- These bars are best stored at room temperature, you can refrigerate them too but keep in mind that if the bars are cold they will be harder.
- To freeze these scotcheroos: Slice them into bars and store them in a freezer bag or container in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy the bars, let them come to room temperature on the counter.
More Bar Recipes To Try!
- 1 cup (310 grams) light corn syrup
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 and ½ cups (375 grams) creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups (180 grams) crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup (190 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (190 grams) butterscotch chips
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving some overhang for easy removal, and set aside.
- Combine the corn syrup and sugar together in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently. Once the sugar is dissolved and the mixture starts to boil immediately remove it from the heat.
- Stir in the peanut butter until well combined and smooth. Add half of the cereal and mix together until just combined, then add the rest of the cereal and mix until all of the cereal is coated.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan and firmly press it down into one even layer. Set aside.
- Combine the semi-sweet chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20-second increments, stirring well after each increment, until completely melted and smooth. Pour the melted chocolate on top and smooth it out into one even layer.
- Transfer the bars to the refrigerator for 45 minutes or until the topping is firm. Remove from the pan, slice into bars, and enjoy!