Perfect Rice Krispie Treats
These Rice Krispie Treats are easy to make and use a full bag of marshmallows to get the perfect ratio of marshmallow to cereal. These bars are gooey and incredibly delicious!
Do you have a favorite treat from your childhood? Aside from my classic no-bake cookies, I absolutely loved rice krispie treats. Between the gooey texture and the crunch from the cereal, there’s something so irresistible about them!
So today I wanted to share my favorite rice krispie treat recipe with you. This upgraded version uses a little extra butter and more marshmallows for the perfect texture and flavor. I originally shared this recipe last year, but I’ve updated the post to include more step photos and instructions so you can master these bars with ease.
More Reasons You’ll Love This Recipe
- Uses a whole 16-ounce bag of marshmallows
- It’s incredibly simple to make
- You only need 4 ingredients
- And it’s perfect for a no-bake treat during the summer!
I’m also sharing tips on how to store your rice krispie treats and prevent them from becoming too hard!
These rice krispie treats are made with just four simple ingredients: butter, marshmallows, vanilla extract, and crispy rice cereal. Here’s a quick break-down of each ingredient and why it’s important to this recipe:
- Butter: I typically use unsalted butter because it’s what I keep on hand, but salted butter is fine too. This also helps to give the treats a rich, buttery flavor.
- Marshmallows: You can’t make this classic treat without marshmallows! This recipe uses a 16-ounce bag of mini marshmallows, most of them will be melted down with the butter but you’ll be setting aside 2 cups to stir into the mixture afterwards. The marshmallows also help to bind everything together.
- Vanilla Extract: For a little extra flavor, feel free to leave this out if you prefer though.
- Crispy Rice Cereal: There are 6 cups of cereal in this recipe – the perfect amount to add some crunch and make these bars easy to slice into and enjoy.
How To Make These Rice Krispie Treats
Once you’ve gathered all of your ingredients, you’ll grab a saucepan and get started. Here’s a simple breakdown of how to make this recipe:
- Line a 9×13 pan with aluminum foil and grease: This will make it much easier to remove the bars from the pan and slice them too. You can grease your pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter, either one is fine!
- Place a saucepan over medium heat
- Melt down the butter and marshmallows: I suggest slicing the butter into tablespoon-sized pieces and melting it first, then add the marshmallows and stir until they’re melted. As soon as the marshmallows are melted remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Mix in the vanilla, cereal, and extra marshmallows: It’s best to mix the vanilla in first, then mix in half of the cereal, and then the rest of the cereal to make sure it’s fully coated in the mixture. Once the cereal is coated, you’ll fold in the 2 cups of marshmallows you set aside earlier until just combined.
- Press the mixture into your pan: Make sure to press firmly and spray your hands with a little nonstick cooking spray so the mixture doesn’t stick too much.
- Allow to cool for 45 minutes
Once the bars have cooled, you can remove them from the pan, slice them up, and enjoy them!
After you’ve cut into the rice krispie treats, it’s best to store them so that they don’t become hard. I typically store mine in an airtight container as soon as I’ve sliced them up. You can also place some parchment paper or wax paper between them so they don’t stick to each other. For an extra layer of protection you can wrap the bars tightly before placing them in an airtight container. The bars will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 5 days.
I don’t suggest refrigerating or freezing these bars as it can cause them to become hard and really difficult to chew. Let’s be honest, no one loves that! If the full recipe makes too many bars, you can cut it in half and press it into an 8×8 pan instead.
How To Prevent Them From Becoming Hard
It’s important to store the bars properly so they don’t become hard. Here a few more ways to keep your treats nice and soft so you can enjoy them longer:
- Avoid heating your saucepan on too high of a heat – medium is perfect!
- Don’t overcook the marshmallows and avoid using stale marshmallows – the fresher the marshmallows the better.
- Store the bars tightly in an airtight container or in a ziplock bag
- If some of the bars become hard, place them in a bag or container with a slice of bread overnight and that should help soften them again
- Before getting started, make sure to line your pan with aluminum foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- You’ll be using one 16-ounce package of mini marshmallows for these bars. Make sure to set aside 2 cups of the mini marshmallows to stir in later.
- I used a 9×13 pan for these bars, but if you want extra thick rice krispie treats you can use an 11×7 baking pan instead.
- The mixture will be sticky to work with, I find that it helps to grease your hands before pressing it down into the pan.
More No-Bake Recipes To Try!
Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons (60 grams) unsalted butter sliced into tablespoon-sized pieces
- 1 (16-ounce) package mini marshmallows divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups (180 grams) crispy rice cereal
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving some overhang for easy removal. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter and set aside.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat, add the sliced butter to the saucepan and allow to melt completely. While the butter is melting, remove two cups (110 grams) of mini marshmallows from the package and set aside for later.
- Once the butter is melted, add the mini marshmallows (minus the two cups you set aside). Continue stirring the mixture until the marshmallows are completely melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add half of the cereal and mix until well combined, then stir in the remaining cereal and continue mixing until fully combined. Stir in the reserved two cups of marshmallows until just combined.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking pan and press it down firmly into one even layer.
- Allow to cool for at least 45 minutes, then remove from the pan, slice into bars, and enjoy!