These Rice Krispie Treats are easy to make, filled with extra marshmallows, and turn out perfect every single time. These bars are perfect for an easy dessert any time of year!
Do you have a favorite treat from your childhood? Aside from no-bake cookies, one of my favorite treats to enjoy as a kid was homemade rice krispie treats.
So today, I’m throwing it back with a simple and easy treat for you – this rice krispie treat recipe! These bars are similar to the classic treat but made even better with a little extra butter and more marshmallows.
These bars also only require 4 simple ingredients, they’re no-bake and only take about 10 minutes to throw together. They’re easily one of my favorite treats to make when I’m short on time!
How To Make These Treats
To make these rice krispie treats, you’ll start by melting down some butter in a large saucepan. I suggest slicing the butter into tablespoon-sized pieces so that it will melt faster. Once the butter is melted, you’ll stir in some mini marshmallows.
This recipe uses one 16-ounce package of mini marshmallows, but before you add the marshmallows to the melted butter, you’ll want to remove two cups and set them aside to stir in later. Then, just add the rest of the marshmallows and stir continuously until the mixture is completely smooth. Once smooth, you’ll stir in a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
The next step is to stir in some Rice Krispies cereal (or crispy rice cereal). I like to stir in about half of the cereal first, mix it up, then stir in the rest. This makes it a little easier to stir the cereal into the melted marshmallow mixture instead of just adding it all at once.
Next, you’ll take the two cups of mini marshmallows you set aside and gently stir them in until just combined. Some of the marshmallows will melt a little as you stir them in, so only stir until they’re just incorporated into the mixture.
Then, just press the mixture down in a 9×13 pan that’s been lined with foil. The mixture will be pretty sticky, so I suggest spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray or greasing it with butter before you scoop the mixture into the pan.
It also helps to grease your hands before you press the mixture down into the pan, otherwise, it can be a sticky mess to work with.
The bars will need to cool for about 45 minutes before they’re ready to be sliced. You can leave these bars plain, add some sprinkles, or even slice them up and dip the bottom of each one in some chocolate!
Baking Tips For Rice Krispie Treats
- Before getting started, make sure to line a pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- You’ll be using one 16-ounce package of mini marshmallows for these bars. Make sure to set aside 2 cups of the mini marshmallows to stir in later.
- I used a 9×13 pan for these bars, but if you want extra thick rice krispie treats you can use an 11×7 baking pan instead.
- The mixture will be sticky to work with, it helps to grease your hands before pressing it down into the pan.
Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons (60 grams) unsalted butter sliced into tablespoon-sized pieces
- 1 (16-ounce) package mini marshmallows divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups (180 grams) Rice Krispies Cereal or crispy rice cereal
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil, leaving some overhang for easy removal. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter and set aside.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced butter to the saucepan and allow to melt completely. While the butter is melting, remove two cups (110 grams) of mini marshmallows from the package and set aside for later.
- Once the butter is melted, add the mini marshmallows (minus the two cups you set aside). Continue stirring the mixture until the marshmallows are completely melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add half of the cereal and mix until well combined, then stir in the remaining cereal and continue mixing until fully combined. Stir in the reserved two cups of marshmallows until just combined.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking pan and press it down firmly into one even layer.
- Allow to cool for at least 45 minutes, then remove from the pan, slice into bars, and enjoy!