Sweet and moist zucchini muffins with a cream cheese filling. These cream cheese-filled zucchini muffins are perfect for breakfast or dessert!
As a kid I was a very picky eater. No matter how hard my mother tried to get me to eat vegetables, I absolutely refused for them to be anywhere near my plate. Fast forward over twenty years later and I’ve grown to really love certain vegetables.
The first vegetable I found out I really loved? Zucchini.
If I’m being honest the first time I tried it was in zucchini bread, but you have to start somewhere.. Right?
I actually do eat zucchini in healthier ways now and I love to cook some to serve alongside dinner. But, I absolutely love baking with it too. Not only does it make some seriously delicious muffins or bread, it adds so much moisture too!
So when I had the idea to make some zucchini muffins, I decided to do things a little different and add a cream cheese filling to it too. I have to say, it was a really great decision because these muffins turn out amazing!
These muffins are perfectly sweet and easy to whip up too. The cream cheese filling consists of cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar, and a little vanilla extract. It’s almost like a cheesecake filling inside of the muffin and it is soooooo good.
Once you make your batter, just spoon half of it into the muffin pan, top with the filling, then spoon the other half of the batter on top.
Easy enough, right?
These muffins bake up in about 20-25 minutes, mine were perfect right at 22 minutes. I baked two batches of these a couple weekends ago and sent some with Joshs’ friends. Everyone loved them and I guarantee you till too! Enjoy!
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 10 cavities in a muffin pan well with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add the cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar, and vanilla to a small bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until smooth and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, egg, and shredded zucchini.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scoop half of the batter into 10 of the muffin cavities, evenly distribute the cream cheese filling on top of the batter, then add the remaining half of the batter on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the muffin pan for about 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the muffin pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
These will freeze well for up to 2 months, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Adapted from All Recipes