All the flavors of your favorite chocolate chip cookie, in a mug! This chocolate chip cookie in a mug takes less than 10 minutes to make and uses ingredients you likely have on hand.
Mug desserts are life savers on busy weeknights when you need something sweet right now but can’t be bothered to make a multi-step recipe.
Truth be told, I’m often hit by dessert cravings like that. And while I’ve got a go-to chocolate mug cake recipe, as well as a delicious mug brownie recipe, I hadn’t yet found a recipe for a chocolate chip cookie in a mug that I really liked.
Until now, that is.
This single serve chocolate chip cookie has an ooey gooey center that’s studded with mini chocolate chips. It has the same flavors as my all-time favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, minus the 2-hour chill time.
Even better, the mug cookie is cooked in the microwave. In less than 10 minutes, you’ll be spooning the cookie from the mug straight into your mouth!
Ingredients in This Recipe
This single serve chocolate chip cookie is made with the usual cookie ingredients, but the ratios are different. Let’s go over the ingredients you’ll need to make a chocolate chip cookie in a mug.
- Butter: I recommend using unsalted butter, as the amount of salt in salted butters can vary between brands.
- Sugar: I used a combination of granulated and light brown sugar. The brown sugar sweetens the dough, but also adds flavor and moisture.
- Egg yolk: Save the egg white for your morning eggs or another baked good.
- Vanilla extract: I flavored the dough with 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla since this recipe is just for a single serve cookie.
- All-purpose flour: Spoon and level the flour when measuring it to avoid adding too much to the dough by mistake.
- Salt: You need a pinch of salt to balance out the sweetness of the dough.
- Chocolate chips: I used mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, but regular chocolate chips will work too.
How to Make a Cookie in a Mug
This mug cookie recipe is as simple as you think it is! In a bowl, combine the melted butter and sugars. Mix until well combined.
Then, whisk in the egg yolk and vanilla. Add the flour and salt last before gently stirring in the chocolate chips.
Spoon the batter into a greased microwave-safe mug.
The cookie will need to be microwaved for 60 to 75 seconds. You’re looking for the top to be just set.
If your cookie doesn’t seem to be cooking that quickly, check the settings on your microwave. Your microwave should be set to high and you should cook the microwave chocolate chip cookie on the regular setting (i.e. not defrost or another option).
Once cooked, carefully remove the cookie from the microwave and let it cool on your counter for a few minutes before eating.
Can This Recipe Be Made Without the Egg?
I’ve only made this recipe as written, so I can’t speak to whether omitting the egg or replacing it with a substitute will work. The egg yolk adds moisture to the cookie dough and helps bind it together.
Can Other Mix-Ins Be Added?
Of course! You can add 2 tablespoons total of mix-ins. Chopped nuts, butterscotch chips, or dried fruit would all work well here.
Toppings for the Mug Cookie
Top your chocolate chip cookie in a mug with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or try one of the following toppings instead:
- Make sure to grease your mug before spooning the dough into it. If you don’t grease the mug, the cookie will stick to the sides as it cooks.
- Be careful not to over cook the mug cookie. The top should be just set, and then it’s ready to be taken out.
- The cookie will be soft as soon as it comes out of the microwave, but will continue to set up the longer it cools. If you prefer your cookie firmer, feel free to let it cool completely!
More Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes to Try!
- Deep Dish Single Serve Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Small Batch Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted (30 grams)
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar (25 grams)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (12 grams)
- 1 large egg yolk at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour spooned and leveled (32 grams)
- Pinch of salt (about 1/16 of a teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips plus more for sprinkling on top (30 grams)
- Grease a mug with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a small mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Whisk in the egg yolk and pure vanilla extract.
- Add the flour and salt and mix until fully combined. Stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared mug and smooth out the top. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top if desired.
- Microwave for 60 to 75 seconds or until the top is just set (I microwave mine for right at 60 seconds).
- Carefully remove from the microwave and set aside to cool for a few minutes (the cookie will continue to set up the longer it cools). Top with ice cream or your favorite toppings right before serving.