These caramel stuffed snickerdoodles are a spin on your classic cinnamon sugar cookies. I love snickerdoodles and wanted to add something a little extra to these cookies. I just can’t leave a good thing alone.
I used a classic snickerdoodle recipe for these and cut it in half, so this recipe makes about 18-20 cookies. However, if you’re feeling crazy and want to make more then the good news is this recipe can easily be doubled. These cookies only take a few more minutes than your regular snickerdoodles, so next time a craving hits try these out!
Can we take a second to talk about this silipat mat? I’ve had this for several years now, my husband bought it for me before we were even engaged. I’ve kept in stashed away in the cabinets for years and then a few months ago I decided to use it. Oh my word. Where has this been all my life?!
Oh yeah, right inside my cabinet.
But seriously, I love this thing. It makes for super easy cleanup and my cookies always come out perfect on it. I confessed my love for it to Josh the other day.. his response? I bought that thing for you four years ago! Mine? Well, I just decided to start using it. He just rolled his eyes.
Anyways, the dough only takes about 10 minutes to make. After that, you want to stuff the cookies with some caramel goodness. An easy way to do this is just flatten out the dough, place half a caramel in the middle, and wrap the dough back around the caramel. Just like this..
Then just use your hands to roll it back into a ball, making sure the caramel is closed up in the dough.
Finally, toss the cookies in your cinnamon sugar coating.
Just bake for 10-12 minutes and voila! Soft snickerdoodle cookies with a melted caramel center.
Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodles
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 9-10 soft caramels unwrapped and cut in half
Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (or silipat mat) or spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the egg and mix thoroughly, then add in the vanilla. After everything is combined, slowly add in the flour mixture until fully combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, spoon dough into balls on the cookie sheet. Flatten each ball of dough with your hand, place half a caramel in the center of each, then wrap the dough back around the caramel. Roll the dough back into a ball.
- In a small bowl, mix together the two tablespoons of sugar and two teaspoons of cinnamon. Toss each ball of dough in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, allow to cool for about 10 minutes on the cookie sheet.
Adapted from Food