These chocolate chip pancakes make a perfect light and healthy breakfast and have extra protein from the Greek yogurt!
How was your weekend? Mine involved taking my little niece to the circus and it was seriously the cutest thing ever. I guess when you’re three years old the circus is an incredible thing and now she’s been asking to ride an elephant all weekend. Sadly, I don’t see any elephant riding in her near future. But at least she got to see the elephants up close, right?
Another thing I did this weekend was make these chocolate chip Greek yogurt pancakes. You guys. These are good. I usually stick with my whole wheat pancakes for a homemade pancake recipe that’s still on the healthier side, but I decided to try something a little different. I used my whole wheat pancake recipe as a base, I doubled the recipe to make more and swapped out the buttermilk for some vanilla Greek yogurt and regular milk. I also used white whole whole wheat flour in these pancakes and sweetened them with a little honey.
I seriously couldn’t believe how great these turned out! The best part is that they pack a little extra protein from the greek yogurt, since there’s one full cup in the recipe! I used vanilla greek yogurt for these pancakes, but I’m sure that plain would work as well. If you do use plain you may need to add a little extra sweetener, but I do suggest vanilla Greek yogurt if you have it on hand.
And because I love chocolate I added in some mini chocolate chips too. You can certainly leave the chocolate chips out for a plain version or substitute some fruit instead, blueberries or strawberries would also work well with these pancakes!
The full recipe will make about 14 pancakes, but you can easily half the recipe to make enough for two people. Enjoy!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Heat a large skillet or griddle to medium heat and spray well with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the greek yogurt, milk, eggs, oil, honey, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined, making sure not to over mix the batter. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop the batter from the bowl and drop onto the skillet or griddle. Once the top starts to bubble and the edges look set, flip and let cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with extra chocolate chips, fresh fruit, or pure maple syrup!