Soft and chewy cookies filled with M&Ms and chocolate chips. These M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies are easy to make and turn out perfect every time!
I put out a poll on Instagram a few weeks ago to see which cookie recipe people wanted to see on the blog next. The winner? These M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies! I love that so many of you love the same desserts that I do!
One thing that I love about this cookie dough is that it’s so versatile. You can mix in just about anything you like and it bakes up perfectly every single time. These cookies always turn out super soft and chewy and they stay that way for days.
You can even change the colors of M&Ms for different holidays like Christmas, Valentine’s Day, or 4th of July. However you make them, this is one cookie recipe you will want to keep on hand!
These cookies start out with some of your usual dry ingredients, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. When it comes to measuring your flour, make sure to spoon it into your measuring cup and level it off with the back of a knife. Too much flour in your cookies can lead to super thick cakey cookies that don’t spread very well.
For the wet ingredients, you’ll be using some unsalted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. I prefer to stick with unsalted butter in these cookies because the amount of salt in salted butter can vary quite a bit between different brands. By using unsalted butter, you control the amount of salt in your recipe. I also love to use a little more brown sugar than granulated sugar for flavor and it helps to keep the cookies soft.
Along with the butter and sugars, you’ll be using a couple of eggs and vanilla extract. Once you combine the wet ingredients, slowly mix in the dry ingredients until they’re just combined.
Then comes the best part, the chocolate chips and M&Ms! I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips in these cookies because they’re not too sweet or bitter, but feel free to use your favorite kind.
There’s also a cup of M&Ms in these cookies because the more chocolate the better. I love to buy the sharing size bags of M&Ms that you can find in the candy aisle. It’s a little over a cup, but you can use any extra to press on top of the cookies once they come out of the oven.
Once you’ve mixed in the chocolate chips and M&Ms you will need to let the cookie dough chill for at least 2 hours. I know this part can be a pain sometimes, but the longer you chill the cookie dough the better the flavor of these cookies and the thicker they will be too.
Chilling the cookie dough will also prevent the cookies from spreading super flat in the oven. So don’t skip this step!
Once the dough is chilled, scoop the cookie dough onto baking sheets and bake the cookies. I love to use a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop to get cookies that are uniform in shape.
Baking Tips For M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
- When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it from the container. Instead, stir the flour around, spoon it into your measuring cup, and level it off with the back of a knife.
- This recipe will make close to 4 dozen cookies. If you don’t need that many cookies, you can cut the recipe in half and cut the dough chilling time to 1 hour.
M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 and 3/4 cup (345 grams) all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (230 grams) unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups (270 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (210 grams) M&Ms
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar for 1-2 minutes or until well combined. Add the eggs and vanilla extract one at a time and mix until fully combined.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients and continue mixing until just combined, making sure to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in the chocolate chips on low speed, then add the M&Ms and gently fold them into the cookie dough.
- Cover the cookie dough tightly and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours. Once the dough is almost chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator, using a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough and drop onto the prepared baking sheets. Make sure to leave a little room between each ball of cookie dough as they will spread a little while they bake.
- Bake in separate batches at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are lightly golden brown and the top is set. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
More cookie recipes to try!