This skinny spinach artichoke dip is lightened up by using low-fat cream cheese and sour cream instead of mayo. This dip makes a great appetizer for any party or get together!
So, I’ve had my fair share of spinach dip in my life. You know, the kind with a bunch of mayo? But it wasn’t until a few months ago that I had spinach artichoke dip. I still wonder why it took so long for me to try it?! I feel like I’ve been living under a rock most of my life when I discover new things. Well, I wouldn’t really call it new, but it was new to me at the time.
The other day when I was thinking of new things to make, this one instantly came to mind. I love mayo as much as the next person, but I wanted to make this dish a little bit lighter. Any dish that is lighter and still tastes delicious is always a winner in my book.
This dip is still super cheesy because of the cream cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese. I served mine with some little toast crackers, but tortilla chips, pita chips, or other crackers work well too. Another great thing about this dip is that you can make it all ahead of time and then pop it in the oven right before your ready to serve it. Just 15 minutes in the oven, a quick broil to get the cheese melted, and boom! You have some seriously delicious skinny cheesy spinach artichoke dip!
Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 1 8 oz. package reduced fat cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup low fat or fat free sour cream
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz. package frozen spinach thawed
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a small baking dish (I used a smaller dish, you can use an 8x8 pan if you like) with cooking spray and set aside.
- Drain and rinse the artichoke hearts, then coarsely chop them. Squeeze any excess water from the frozen spinach and set both aside.*
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, mix the cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Stir in the parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined. Then add in the artichoke hearts and spinach and mix under well incorporated.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Baked for 15 minutes or until heated through. Broil for an additional minute or two to get the cheese more browned, if you prefer.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from Food