This Buffalo Chicken Dip is creamy, delicious, and easy to make with just 5 simple ingredients. The perfect appetizer for your next party!
*Recipe and pictures updated January 2019*
If you’ve been following me for a while you know I don’t share too many savory recipes on the blog. But, since the big football game isn’t too far away I thought this buffalo chicken dip would be a perfect recipe to share with you!
This dip is incredibly easy to throw together and only requires 5 simple ingredients. You can even change up the dressing and cheese in this recipe to fit your personal preference.
This recipe will also make enough to serve about 8-10 people, but you can feel free to cut the recipe in half for a smaller amount. I’ve included notes in the recipe for how to do this as well!
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
Okay, so buffalo chicken dip isn’t the most glamorous looking dip when it’s all mixed up, but it is delicious. Let’s break down each ingredient that goes into this dip.
- Cream Cheese: I use full-fat cream cheese in this dip for a thicker and creamier texture. You may use reduced fat cream cheese, but I wouldn’t use fat-free for this recipe. I suggest beating the cream cheese with a mixer until it’s smooth before mixing it with the other ingredients.
- Buffalo Sauce: I use Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce in this dip, but any other similar brand will work just fine.
- Ranch Dressing: I prefer to use ranch dressing in my dip, but feel free to use blue cheese dressing if you like it more. You’ll mix the buffalo sauce and ranch dressing into the cream cheese until it’s well combined. If you see a few lumps at this point, don’t worry, this is okay.
Once you’ve mixed up the cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and ranch dressing you’ll stir in the last two ingredients.
- Shredded Chicken: I use three cups of shredded chicken in my dip because I love the extra chicken, but you can feel free to reduce the amount of chicken down to two cups. If you want to make this dip even easier, you can buy a small rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and use that.
- Mozzarella Cheese: I prefer mozzarella cheese in this dip because of the flavor, but feel free to swap it out for blue cheese or even shredded cheddar cheese.
Once you’ve mixed up the buffalo chicken dip, you’ll spread it around into an 8-inch square baking dish. At this point, you can also top the dip with some extra mozzarella cheese if you prefer but I skip this step.
Then, just bake the dip until it’s warmed through for about 20-25 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the edges are bubbling.
You can leave the dip plain or you can add some extra toppings to really take it to the next level. I love to add some blue cheese crumbles, freshly chopped chives, and a little extra buffalo sauce for good measure.
You can serve this dip with just about anything that you like too. I love to have some celery and carrot sticks, pita chips, and tortilla chips on the side for dipping.
- I use ranch dressing in this dip, but feel free to swap it out for blue cheese dressing. I also use shredded mozzarella cheese in the dip, but this may be swapped out for shredded cheddar cheese or blue cheese.
- If you want to make this dip even easier, you can buy a small rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and use that.
- If you want to make a smaller amount of this dip, you can cut the recipe in half and bake it for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (240 ml) buffalo sauce I use Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing
- 1 cup (120 grams) shredded mozzarella cheese or shredded cheddar or blue cheese
- 3 cups (375 grams) shredded, cooked chicken
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the buffalo sauce and ranch dressing and continue mixing until fully combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Stir in the mozzarella cheese and shredded chicken until fully combined.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it around into one even layer. Bake for 25 minutes or until the dip is warmed through and bubbling around the edges.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve, and enjoy.