Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls
These lemon blueberry sweet rolls are easy to make and perfect for breakfast or dessert. Top them off with a delicious lemon cream cheese frosting for a treat everyone will love!
How was everyone’s weekend? Hopefully, you were all able to relax and spend time with family and friends! These past few weeks have been incredibly busy with work and life, that I haven’t been posting nearly as much as I’d like to. After a nice long weekend and getting to meet my newest nephew (!!!!!!!), life feels like it has calmed down a little and I’m sooooo happy to be back.
Also, I felt that it was appropriate to bring you a sweeter recipe today. Especially one that involves lemons and blueberries!
I originally shared the recipe for these over on my friend Amber’s blog, Dessert Now, Dinner Later while she is on maternity leave. But, I wanted to share the recipe with those of you who didn’t get a chance to see it yet because I absolutely loved this recipe!
The first sweet rolls I posted were my strawberry sweet rolls and we absolutely loved them. To make these easy just like the strawberry version, I used crescent roll dough. I absolutely love using crescent roll dough for a quick shortcut when it comes to baking certain things. Once you unroll the dough, you’ll top it with a little butter, sugar, lemon zest, and blueberries.
Then roll it up, slice it into 8 pieces, pop each one into your muffin pan, and voila! Super easy and delicious lemon blueberry sweet rolls.
I highly recommend using a muffin pan to bake these in, since it helps them keep that nice round shape and they bake up perfectly each time.
You all know how much I adore lemons and berries and if you’re just like me, then you will love these! To make these a little more lemony, I added a little lemon juice to the frosting. You can certainly replace it with milk if you prefer, but I loved the extra burst of lemon flavor it gave to these sweet rolls. Enjoy!
Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls
- 1 8-ounce package crescent roll dough
- 1 Tablespoon softened butter
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 3 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
To make the sweet rolls:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 8 cavities in a muffin pan well with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- On a clean surface, unroll the crescent roll dough into a rectangle (if not using seamless, make sure to press the seams together). Spread the Tablespoon of softened butter evenly over the dough, then sprinkle the sugar and lemon zest over the dough. Evenly distribute the blueberries on top.
- Starting with the long side, tightly roll the dough up. Using unwaxed, unflavored dental floss or a sharp knife, cut the roll into 8 equal pieces.
- Place each piece into the prepared muffin cavities. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
To make the frosting:
- Using a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and mix well, then add the lemon juice and mix until fully combined.
- Evenly distribute the frosting between all 8 rolls.
Love this recipe? You might also enjoy these Strawberry Sweet Rolls!
Or these Skinny Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars (no one will ever know they’re healthier!)
This post was first published on Dessert Now, Dinner Later! on 06/04/2015.