These easy Flourless Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies have no butter or flour! These cookies are also sweetened with coconut sugar and are perfect for a healthier dessert.
Have you ever tried flourless peanut butter cookies before? Several years ago, one of my coworkers told me how she made some cookies one night out of peanut butter, brown sugar, an egg, and baking soda. I was so intrigued that I went home and tried it out for myself. Guess what? They tasted just as delicious as a regular peanut butter cookie without the butter or flour.
As I was working on some healthier dessert recipes for this month, those peanut butter cookies immediately came back to my mind. I knew I wanted to make a few changes to the recipe, so I decided to swap out the peanut butter and use almond butter. If you don’t have any almond butter, peanut butter will work just fine in these cookies too.
Secondly, I wanted to make these cookies a little bit healthier. The original recipe I’ve used in the past uses 1 cup of sugar, which I was easily able to reduce down to 2/3 cup. Then, I swapped out the brown sugar for coconut sugar. I’ve used coconut sugar in some recipes on the blog in the past and I absolutely love it. Coconut sugar is a wonderful unrefined sugar that you can easily swap with brown sugar.
You’ll mix the almond butter and coconut sugar together with an egg, baking soda, and a touch of vanilla extract. I also like to throw in some chocolate chips for good measure. I’ve found that only 1/2 cup of chocolate chips is really all you need here, but feel free to add a bit more if you like.
Another great thing about this recipe? There’s no dough chilling required! I’ve never had any issues with these cookies spreading too much like you sometimes find with traditional cookies made with butter. So all you have to do is mix everything up, scoop the balls of cookie dough on the baking sheet, and bake them for about 10 minutes. One important thing here, make sure to let your cookies cool completely on the baking sheet. Normally I’ll cool my cookies on a baking sheet for 5-10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool. I’ve found that these cookies need about 15-20 minutes to cool almost all the way before you can pick them up.
These cookies bake up a little crispy on the edges and perfectly soft and chewy in the middle. I may or may not have eaten four of these the last time I made a batch, which sort of defeats the purpose of making a healthier dessert. But trust me when I say that they are that good!
Flourless Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup creamy almond butter*
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the almond butter, coconut sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and baking soda and mix together until very well combined. Add in the chocolate chips and continue mixing until fully combined.
- Measure out two tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, making sure to leave a little room between each one. Bake in two separate batches at 350°F for 9-11 minutes or until the cookies are set. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet.
I suggest using a no-stir almond butter for these cookies, I've found that it works best in this recipe.
Store cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to one week.
If you love almonds and chocolate try my Chocolate Espresso Almond Clusters next!