A delicious and easy Crockpot turkey chili recipe. Perfect for those nights when you want dinner ready as soon as you get home!
I’m back with another delicious and easy Crockpot recipe for you all! It all started with this Crockpot apple butter and now this Crockpot turkey chili! My Crockpot has been getting some major use lately and I’m definitely not complaining. I’m just praying that my Crockpot has a lot of life left in it because I foresee a lot of this ground turkey chili over the next few months.
In my opinion, there’s really nothing better than coming home to a dinner that’s already warm and waiting for you in the Crockpot. I’ve been making Crockpot turkey chili for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. The only prep work you have to do with this chili is to cook the onion and ground turkey ahead of time.
This chili is delicious topped with a little cheese and served with a side of cornbread. Or if you’re like my husband, put it on top of a big pile of Fritos.
Ingredients in This Recipe
This is a simple turkey chili recipe with minimal ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make this healthy Crockpot chili:
- Ground turkey: I prefer using lean ground turkey in this recipe. Ground beef or chicken can also be used.
- White onion: Adds flavor. No chili recipe is complete without it!
- Bell pepper: Use any color you’d like. I used a red bell pepper since that’s what I had on hand.
- Tomatoes: I used a blend of tomato sauce and canned diced tomatoes in this recipe.
- Beans: I used black beans and kidney beans, but use whatever you’d like.
- Spices: I flavored this slow cooker turkey chili with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
How to Make Crockpot Turkey Chili
To make this ground turkey chili, first sauté the onion in an oiled skillet and cook until softened. Then, add in the ground turkey and brown.
Add the ground turkey and onion to your Crockpot, then add the remaining ingredients. Cover with lid and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours.
What Size Crockpot Should I Use?
This recipe will completely fill a 3-quart Crockpot, but I typically use a 5-quart Crockpot to make it.
Brown the ground turkey and onion as directed in a stockpot, then add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about one hour.
- I prefer to cook the turkey the night before and then throw all of the ingredients into the Crockpot on my lunch break. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
- This recipe is incredibly versatile. Not a fan of black beans? Switch them out for another kind you like! Don’t like ground turkey? Swap it out for some lean ground beef instead.
- I highly recommend lining your Crockpot with a Crockpot liner to make cleanup easier!
More Easy Dinner Recipes to Try!
Crockpot Turkey Chili
- 1.25 pounds lean ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
- 1 small white onion , diced
- 1 bell pepper , chopped
- 1 (29 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.). can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Prepare Crockpot by spraying well with cooking spray or lining with a Crockpot liner.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced onion to the skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the ground turkey to the skillet and cook until it is browned, making sure to break it up as you cook it.
- Add the turkey and onion to the bottom of the Crockpot. Add the remaining ingredients on top and stir well to combine.
- Cover with lid and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!