Homemade Candied Pecans
Learn how easy it is to make your own candied pecans with just a few simple ingredients. This is the best homemade candied pecan recipe you will ever try and it’s perfect for giving as a gift to friends and family!
*Post and pictures updated June 2020*
Have you ever tried making candied pecans? My husband and I used to love buying the bags of candied pecans, but I was never a fan of how pricey they were for such a small bag.
A couple of years ago I decided to take matters into my own hands and learn how to make my own. And let me tell you, they’re so simple to make right at home! You will love this simple candied pecan recipe because it’s:
- Incredibly easy to make
- Only uses a few simple ingredients
- Super delicious!
You also get way more candied pecans with this recipe for a fraction of the cost. And since this recipe makes quite a bit, it’s perfect for giving as gifts to friends and family during the holidays too.
For this easy candied pecan recipe, you’ll need just six simple ingredients. Let’s break down each ingredient:
- Egg White: I prefer to use an egg white to help the cinnamon sugar coating adhere to the pecans. You can use the leftover egg yolk in an omelet or another recipe like my small batch chocolate chip cookies.
- Water: Just one tablespoon of water is whisked together with the egg white until frothy.
- Pecan Halves: You will be using 4 cups of pecan halves which comes out to about 1 pound.
- Granulated Sugar: To help add some sweetness to the candied pecans!
- Cinnamon & Salt: There’s a couple of teaspoons of ground cinnamon for extra flavor as well as some salt to balance out the sweetness of the sugar.
How To Make Candied Pecans
Once you’ve gathered all of your ingredients it’s time to prepare your candied pecans! To start, you’ll preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, add the pecan halves to a large bowl and set aside.
Next, you’ll whisk together an egg white with one tablespoon of water until it’s nice and frothy like the picture above. Then, pour the frothy egg white mixture over your pecan halves and stir well until all of the pecans are coated in the egg white mixture.
Once the pecans are coated, set them aside and whisk together the granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, and salt until well combined. Pour the cinnamon sugar mixture over the pecans and mix until they’re all coated.
Then, spread the pecans out into an even layer on your baking sheet and bake them for 45 minutes, stirring the pecans every 15 minutes to ensure that they bake evenly. Once they’re done, remove them from the oven and let them cool completely on the baking sheet so that they can firm up.
How long do they keep?
You can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. While it’s not necessary to store candied pecans in the refrigerator, if you need to store them longer than one week, then I recommend refrigerating them.
Can you freeze them?
Yes! These will freeze just fine for up to 3 months. I recommend storing them in an airtight container or freezer bag. When you’re ready to enjoy them, simply place them on the counter for a few hours so that they can come to room temperature.
- Once you add the cinnamon sugar mixture, stir everything together really well to ensure that all of the pecans are coated.
- Make sure to remove the pecans from the oven and stir every 15 minutes to ensure that they bake evenly.
- The pecans will be soft as soon as they come out of the oven, this is normal! Once they cool completely they will firm up and be nice and crunchy.
More Easy Pecan Recipes!
Homemade Candied Pecans
- 4 cups (1 pound) pecan halves
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the pecans to a large mixing bowl and set aside. Add the egg white and water to a separate bowl and whisk together until well combined and frothy. Pour the egg white mixture onto the pecans and stir until all of the pecans are fully coated.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the cinnamon sugar mixture over the pecans and stir until all of the pecans are fully coated.
- Spread the pecans onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 300°F (150°C) for 45 minutes, stirring the pecans every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
Lightly adapted from All Recipes