These candied pecans are easy to make and a perfect sweet snack or gift for friends and family!
Have you ever tried making candied pecans? My husband is a huge fan of them, especially when places start to sell them this time of year. Me on the other hand? I’ve never cared too much for them because they always seem overpriced. I realize that pecans aren’t exactly cheap, but for a small bag of candied pecans it can get a little pricey.
So, this year I decided to take matters into my own hands and make a huge batch of them.
Candied pecans are actually pretty easy to make at home and you get a lot more for your money. I use exactly four cups of pecan halves in this recipe, which is about one pound. You’ll add the pecans to a large bowl, whisk together an egg white with a little water, then pour it onto the pecans and mix it together until they’re all fully coated. The egg white will help the cinnamon and sugar mixture stick to the pecans while they’re baking.
Then you’ll mix together your sugar, cinnamon, and some salt. Add it to the pecans and stir until they’re all nice and coated. Spread them into an even layer on a baking sheet and bake them for about 45 minutes, stirring well every 15 minutes. Once they cool completely, the sugar will harden and they’ll be perfectly crunchy and sweet.
This recipe will make quite a bit, so you can give some away to friends and family too. Or keep them all to yourself. I’ll leave that one up to you.
- 4 cups pecan halves
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the pecans to a large bowl. Add the egg white and water to a separate bowl and whisk together well. Pour the egg white mixture onto the pecans and stir until all of the pecans are fully coated.
- In another bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the cinnamon sugar mixture over the pecans and stir until all of the pecans are fully coated.
- Spread the pecans onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 300°F for 45 minutes, stirring the pecans every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
Lightly adapted from All Recipes
Be sure to try my Salted Caramel Almond Turtles next!