These candied pecans are made with just a few simple ingredients and perfect for a sweet treat or gift for friends and family!
*Pictures updated November 2017*
Have you ever tried making candied pecans? My husband and I used to buy the bags of candied pecans places start to sell this time of year, but I was never a fan of how pricey they were for such a small bag.
A couple of years ago I decided to take matters into my own hands and learn how to make my own. And let me tell you, they’re so simple to make right at home! In fact, I can usually mix up a batch of these candied pecans and have them ready to go into the oven in about 10 minutes.
You also get way more candied pecans with this recipe for a fraction of the cost of the store-bought version. And since this recipe makes quite a bit, it’s perfect for giving as gifts to friends and family during the holidays too.
To make these candied pecans, you’ll need about 4 cups of pecan halves. To make things easy, I like to buy a one-pound bag of pecan halves and it usually comes out to right around 4 cups.
You’ll add the pecans to a large bowl, whisk together an egg white with a little water, then pour it onto the pecans and mix it together until the pecans are fully coated.
Then you’ll whisk together some sugar, cinnamon, and a little bit of salt. You’ll pour the cinnamon sugar mixture over the pecans and stir them around until they’re completely coated, spread them into an even layer on a baking sheet, and bake them for about 45 minutes. In order to make sure the pecans bake evenly, it’s best to stir them around every 15 minutes.
Once you take the pecans out of the oven, you’ll need to let them cool completely. Once they’re cooled they’ll be perfectly sweet and crunchy!
This recipe will make quite a bit, so you can give some away to friends and family or keep them all to yourself. I’ll leave that one up to you.
Watch the video to see how easy these are to make!
Homemade Candied Pecans
- 4 cups (1 pound) pecan halves
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) water
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the pecans to a large mixing bowl. Add the egg white and water to a separate bowl and whisk together until well combined. Pour the egg white mixture onto the pecans and stir until all of the pecans are fully coated.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the cinnamon sugar mixture over the pecans and stir until all of the pecans are fully coated.
- Spread the pecans onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 300°F for 45 minutes, stirring the pecans every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
Candied pecans may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a couple weeks.
Lightly adapted from All Recipes