These easy Blueberry Crumb Bars use the same mixture for the crust and topping and are filled with a delicious blueberry filling!
I tend to be a pretty basic person. My wardrobe consists of a lot of white, gray, black, and some blue. Which sounds a little depressing, but it’s just my style. Any time I pick up a shirt or something with any color, my husband is the first to say I should get it because I could use a little color in my life. Just typing that out and reading it sounds hilarious.
When it comes to recipes sometimes I like basic and easy too. Nothing crazy or over the top. I mean I do love trying to come up with new ideas that seem different and are kind of fun. But then there are times that I just want something normal. Something not crazy, over the top, or difficult. Something like these Blueberry Crumb Bars.
When I say these bars are easy, I really do mean it. You’ll start by making an easy crumb topping which is just a mixture of flour, brown sugar, oats, a little bit of salt, and some cold butter. It’s probably best to use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter, but if you’re like me you only remember to go buy a pastry cutter when you’re making things that require it. And then the rest of the time you forget to go buy said pastry cutter. But, I just use a fork to cut it in and it works just fine.
Once you have crumbs, you’ll set aside about 1 cup of the mixture which you’ll use for the topping. That’s right, the crust and topping are one in the same. I told you, soooo easy! You’ll press down the remaining crumbs firmly into the pan to form the crust.
Then comes the blueberry mixture! Oh so easy too. You’ll toss together some fresh blueberries, cornstarch, sugar, and a little lemon juice. That’s it. Scoop the blueberries over the crust and spread them out. Sprinkle the reserved cup of crumb topping you set aside over the blueberries and then pop it into the oven.
As the bars bake, the blueberries will release their juices and the center will thicken up a bit. Once they’ve cooled, they slice easily into bars with no mess.
These bars are perfect for dessert, a snack, or even breakfast. I mean they have oats and blueberries, so that makes them breakfast food. Right?
Blueberry Crumb Bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, making sure to leave some overhang for easy removal. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, and salt until well combined. Cube the cold butter into small pieces and cut it into the mixture using a pastry cutter or fork (or your hands) until it resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1 cup of the crumb mixture and set aside for the topping.
- Scoop the remaining crumb mixture into the prepared baking pan and firmly press it down into one even layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Mix until everything is well combined. Scoop the blueberries out of the bowl and onto the prepared crust and spread them out into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the reserved 1 cup of topping you set aside earlier on top of the blueberries.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes (mine usually takes closer to 50 minutes) or until the topping is lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, remove the foil from the pan and slice into 9 larger bars or 16 smaller bars.
Store bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
More blueberry recipes!