These easy homemade baked chocolate donuts are topped with a delicious chocolate glaze and sprinkles! Perfect for breakfast or a sweet treat.
Remember when I mentioned in my last post that a few weekends ago I baked a lot of donuts? Well, it just so happened to be these donuts. I experimented with several different things and after quite a few batches, I finally landed on the winning batch of donuts.
And then I topped them with more chocolate and sprinkles. Because chocolate donuts just don’t feel complete to me without sprinkles.
Ever since I first tried baked donuts, I’ve been a huge fan of them. You may remember these baked pumpkin donuts. They’re still one of my favorite recipes on the blog to date and they also happen to be one of the more popular recipes on my blog!
Since I absolutely love chocolate, I decided that it was about time for a chocolate version instead. Because if I ever do order a donut, it’s always a chocolate donut with sprinkles.
Now, these aren’t exactly like a fried donut. They kind of have a cakey texture, but they are very good and much lighter than the fried version.
The donuts only take about 10 minutes to whip up and then another 10 minutes to bake. I always let them cool in the pan for a few minutes while I make the frosting and then dip them into it while they’re still a little warm. Here’s a donut pan that’s similar to the one that I use, I love mine and use it all of the time!
Just a word of advice, don’t fill the donut cavities completely full. Otherwise, they will overflow and no one wants that.
This recipe will make about 8 donuts, depending on how full you fill them you may be able to get about 10.
These are best served the same day that you make them too. But they usually don’t make it past one day anyway. Trust me.
Baked Chocolate Donuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons milk or as needed
To make the donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a donut pan well with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, sugar, egg, butter, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the donut cavities making sure to only fill them about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the donut comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes in the pan. Remove donuts from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To make the glaze
- In a separate bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and milk. If the glaze is too thick, slowly add one tablespoon of milk at a time until it has reached your desired consistency.
- Dip the tops of the donuts into the glaze and transfer back to the wire rack to cool and allow the glaze to harden. Top with sprinkles if desired.
Donuts are best eaten the same day, but can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
This post contains affiliate links, which pay me a small commission at no additional cost to you.