These Pineapple Coconut Crumb Bars use the same mixture for the crust and topping and are filled with a delicious pineapple coconut filling!
Isn’t it amazing how your taste buds change over the years? When I was a kid, I wouldn’t touch anything with cooked fruit or coconut in it. But now? I absolutely love both of them. I’ll happily eat a fruit or coconut cream pie any time of the year.
Sadly, my taste buds haven’t really changed a whole lot when it comes to certain vegetables. But at least these bars have some fruit in them. That counts for something, right? Plus, pineapple and coconut are a match made in heaven.
So, let’s talk about these delicious bars. The mixture for the crust is just a few easy ingredients and also doubles as the topping. You’ll set aside about 1 cup of the mixture for the topping and mix a little coconut into it.
You will need to bake the crust for about 20 minutes before adding the filling and topping. But, while the crust is baking is a perfect time to mix up the easy pineapple coconut filling on the stove top. Once the filling has thickened, you can set it aside so that it’s ready to go when the crust is finished baking.
Speaking of the filling, it is absolutely delicious. The first time I made these bars, I left the coconut out of the filling. When I tasted them I knew they needed more coconut, so I decided to mix some into the filling. Perfection!
If you’re not a huge fan of coconut, you can leave it out and just make a pineapple version. Which I think would be delicious too! But, the little bits of toasted coconut in the buttery crumb topping and in the filling are absolutely delicious.
Pineapple Coconut Crumb Bars
For the crust and topping:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour spooned & leveled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
For the pineapple coconut filling:
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
To make the crust and topping:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, making sure to leave some overhang for easy removal. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut the butter into pieces and add it to the mixture. Using a mixer, beat on low speed until you have coarse crumbs (you can also use a fork or your hands). Reserve 1 cup of the mixture and transfer to a separate mixing bowl. Mix in 1/4 cup of the shredded coconut with the reserved mixture, cover tightly, and transfer to the refrigerator. Scoop the remaining crumb mixture into the prepared baking pan and firmly press it down into an even layer.
- Bake at 350°F for about 18-20 minutes or until the top is set and the edges are lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
To make the pineapple coconut filling:
- Mix together the crushed pineapple, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5-7 minutes or until the pineapple mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded coconut.
- Pour the pineapple filling over the crust. Remove the remaining crumb topping from the refrigerator and and sprinkle it evenly over the top. Return to the oven and bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the top.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Remove the foil from the pan, slice into bars, and enjoy.
Adapted from Land O’Lakes
Be sure to try my Blueberry Crumb Bars next!