Learn how to toast coconut three different ways – in the oven, microwave, or in a skillet. Perfect for cakes, pies, and so much more!
I feel like there are two different kinds of people in this world, those who love coconut and those who don’t. I’m one that absolutely loves it and if you’re anything like me, I think you’ll love today’s post!
Today on the blog, I’m showing you three different ways that you can toast coconut – in the oven, microwave, or on the stovetop in a skillet. Each of these methods works great and creates a batch of beautifully toasted coconut in just a matter of minutes.
I’ve also included a few different ways you can use this coconut too. On Thursday, I’ll be sharing my new and improved coconut cream pie recipe that’s another wonderful way to use it!
How To Toast Coconut
When it comes to toasting coconut, the amount of time it takes for each method will vary slightly depending on your oven, microwave, or stove. You can use either sweetened shredded coconut or sweetened coconut flakes, both work great.
I also suggest using about 1-2 cups of coconut, especially if you’re using the microwave or a skillet. If you’re needing to make a larger batch of coconut, then I would stick with the oven method and use a large baking sheet.
Let’s break down each method, starting with my favorite way to toast coconut!
To toast coconut in the oven, preheat your oven to 350° (177°C). Spread the amount of coconut needed for your recipe into one even layer on a baking sheet. Once the oven is preheated, place the baking sheet in the oven for 8-12 minutes.
Keep a close eye on it, and make sure to stir it a few times as it’s baking so it will toast evenly. Once some of the coconut starts to lightly brown, stir it, and keep a close eye on it. Once it’s browned, remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool completely on the baking sheet.
While the oven is probably my favorite way to toast coconut, I really love to use the microwave too. With this method, you don’t have to worry about turning on your oven and heating up the house. The microwave also works just as well as the oven!
To toast coconut in the microwave, spread the coconut into an even layer in a small microwave-safe baking dish. I like to use an 8-inch square glass dish or 9-inch pie plate to toast it this way. Then, place the baking dish in the microwave and microwave it in 30-second intervals. After each interval, use a fork to stir the coconut around. Once the coconut starts to lightly brown, start microwaving it in 15-20 second increments to avoid burning it.
The amount of time the coconut takes will vary depending on your microwave. I have a 1200-watt microwave and mine usually takes about 8-10 30 second intervals or 4-5 minutes. Once the coconut is lightly browned, remove the baking dish from the microwave and set it on a wire rack to cool completely.
The final way that you can toast coconut is in a skillet on the stove top. To be honest, this is probably my least favorite way just because the coconut doesn’t toast as evenly as you can tell from the picture. That being said, it still works fine and the coconut tastes great too!
To toast the coconut in a skillet, simply place 1-2 cups in a large skillet and place it over low-medium heat, stirring the coconut often. Once the coconut is lightly browned, remove the skillet from the heat and spread the toasted coconut on a baking sheet to cool completely.
Different Ways To Use Toasted Coconut
You can use toasted coconut so many different ways, but here are a few of my favorite!
- When you’re toasting the coconut, make sure to keep a close eye on it. The coconut can go from lightly browned to burned in less than a minute!
- If you’re using the microwave or a skillet, I suggest only use 1-2 cups of coconut. If you need to make a larger batch, you can use the oven method and a large baking sheet or make multiple batches.
How To Toast Coconut
- 1 -2 cups sweetened shredded coconut or sweetened coconut flakes
To toast the coconut in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spread the coconut into one even layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 8-12 minutes, stirring a few times so that the coconut browns evenly. Once the coconut is lightly browned, remove it from the oven and cool completely on the baking sheet.
To toast the coconut in the microwave:
- Add the coconut to a microwave-safe baking dish and spread it around into one even layer. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stopping after each interval to stir the coconut around. Once the coconut starts to lightly brown, microwave in 15-20 intervals, stirring well after each one.
- Once all of the coconut is lightly browned (about 4-6 minutes), carefully remove the dish from the microwave (it will be hot, so make sure to use oven mitts!) and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To toast the coconut in a skillet:
- Add the coconut to a large skillet and spread it around into one even layer. Place the skillet over low-medium heat, stirring often, until the coconut is lightly browned (about 5-10 minutes).
- Remove the skillet from the heat and spread the coconut on a baking sheet to cool completely.