Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
3-ingredient carrot cake cookies with a smooth and delicious cream cheese frosting. These carrot cake sandwich cookies are perfect for spring and Easter!
My husband is the type of person who can pass up almost any kind of dessert with chocolate. There’s a part of me that doesn’t understand it at all. I feel like chocolate is one of those things that I just have to have sometimes. But then the other part of me is totally okay with him not liking chocolate desserts. Because that just means more chocolate for me.
There are a couple kinds of desserts that the man just can’t pass up though. Carrot cake? It doesn’t stand a chance around him. Or me. But let’s be honest, I love any kind of dessert. Including these carrot cake cookies with cream cheese filling.
To make this recipe a little easier, I used my favorite cake mix cookie recipe. That’s right, these carrot cake cookies are made from a cake mix! Here’s what else you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Carrot cake mix: You’ll need a standard size box of carrot cake mix for this recipe (15.25 oz). Any brand will work!
- Oil: Use a neutral flavored oil like vegetable or canola oil.
- Eggs: To bind everything together.
- Butter: I always use unsalted butter in my baked goods because the amount of salt in salted butters can vary between brands.
- Cream cheese: Use full-fat brick-style cream cheese for the frosting. That will make it thick and creamy!
- Confectioners sugar: Also called powdered sugar or icing sugar. This helps to sweeten the frosting inside of the cookies.
- Vanilla extract: Use pure vanilla, if possible.
How to Make Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
For the carrot cake mix cookies, all you’ll need is a box of carrot cake mix, 1/3 cup oil, and 2 eggs. Simply mix everything together, scoop the dough into balls, and bake for 11-12 minutes. Cookies = done!
While the cookies cool, make the frosting. Beat together the softened cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until combined.
To assemble the carrot cake sandwich cookies, evenly spread a layer of frosting on the inside of a cookie and top with another cookie.
Once frosted, the carrot cake cookies with cream cheese filling need to be stored in the refrigerator (since the frosting contains dairy). They’ll last up to five days in an airtight container.
- Just a word of advice, the dough for these cookies will be a bit sticky so I suggest using a cookie scoop if you have one. I smoothed the tops of the cookies out some to make them a little prettier, but it’s not necessary.
- You can either make the frosting ahead of time and refrigerate it until ready to use or make it while the cookies are cooling.
- Be sure to set your butter and cream cheese out on the counter ahead of time, so they are nice and soft and ready to be mixed.
More Carrot Cake Desserts to Try!
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Pineapple Carrot Cake
- Classic Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Baked Carrot Cake Donuts
Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
Carrot Cake Cookies:
- 1 box (15.25 oz) carrot cake mix
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter , softened (half a stick)
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Carrot Cake Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the carrot cake mix, oil, and eggs until well combined. Using a cookie scoop, drop the dough (about 2 tablespoons each) on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Remove cookies from the baking sheet and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or handheld mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the confectioner's sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Once the cookies have cooled, evenly distribute the frosting on the flat side of half of the cookies. Place the other half of the cookies, flat side down, on top of the frosting.
My husband can pass up just about any dessert, too! I just don’t get it, especially since our kitchen is always overflowing with baked goods. These cookies look gorgeous, Danielle! I have a feeling my husband would gobble these up, as he loves carrot cake. I love the creamy filling, too. Pinned!
He must have a lot of self control! Something I kind of lack haha! Thanks, so much Gayle and thanks for pinning 🙂
How gorgeous are these sandwiches?! Um, I’m drooling! Seriously though, these are SO pretty and your photos are stunning, Danielle! Love that they start with a boxed mix!
Thank you, Sarah! I took your tips for the backlighting!
I love using cake mix! It’s the bet baking hack. These look amazing. All that frosting in between!
It seriously is one of the best baking hacks. They make life so much easier sometimes.
These sandwich cookies look divine! Carrot cake is one of my favourite cake recipes so this recipe is right up my street! 😀 Love the cream cheese filling! So good – thanks for sharing, Danielle!
I love carrot cake! I can never pass it up. These sandwich cookies look delicious! I love that their made from a cake mix : )
These cookies look totally delicious! Love the filling and the creativity 🙂
I just don’t possess any self-control to pass up dessert! It can be such a problem, lol! These sandwiches look so pretty! They wouldn’t stand a chance around me 🙂
Same here, Michelle! Thank you 🙂
These sandwich cookies look incredible, Danielle! Love carrot cake desserts especially this time of year! My husband would gobble these up in no time too, carrot cake is his favorite!
Thanks, Kelly! I love carrot cake, but this time of year it seems even better.
Cake mix cookies are my friend. As is chocolate ANYTHING. I can’t believe your husband! Mine is fighting me for the chocolate all the way. Lol
Haha! I think my husband is crazy sometimes when it comes to chocolate!
I love chocolate and eat it every. single. day. BUT I’m always up for anything carrot cake! These cookies look phenomenal and I love that you sandwiched them together with cream cheese frosting! They look so soft and delicious. 🙂
I try to fit chocolate into every day too, Marcie! Thanks so much 🙂
These cookies are so pretty, Danielle! I love anything with cream cheese icing, and these carrot cake cookie sandwiches are so fun!
Thank you, Kristine!
Love that you used cake ix for these cookies. So simple and delicious!
Oh I could never pass up on chocolate. I don’t understand people who are “meh” about chocolate. Crazy-ness. But I also wouldn’t pass on these sandwiches either. Sandwich cookies are the best because 2 cookies is always better than 2 cookie! 🙂
I think it’s absolutely crazy some people do not like chocolate too! Thanks, Liz!
I’ve never had carrot cake cookies, but will definitely make some! They look so delicious! Perfect for Easter! Pinning!
Oh my…I’ve only had Carrot Cake, but I have to tell you – these are my new favorites – because I love cookies and two sandwiched with goodness? Girl – these are so pinned!
The more the better, right?! Thanks, Kristi 🙂
Ok just fabulous! I wanna get sandwiched into a room alone with these cookies and devour them haha
Haha that totally made me laugh out loud, Kelsey! Thanks so much 🙂
First time here and i am hooked:)
Chocolate and cookies, that too sandwiched- yummmmm 🙂 Very inviting 🙂
Thank you so much!
Mmm love how easy and delicious these cookies are! Love the filling!
These are so cute! Love it! 🙂
This is my kinda cookie! It won’t stand a chance for longer than a day in our house! Carrot cake and cream cheese is one of my all time favorite flavor combinations. Thanks for providing a recipe that is simple and quick! We need these in our recipe tins!
It really is a great combination! Thanks so much, Annie!
Cake mix cookies are just the best! So easy and they always come out so perfect! I still don’t understand people who don’t like chocolate… it’s just craziness!!
I love that these are made with a cake mix! Easy, and they look so delicious!