These baked sweet potato fries are a delicious and easy side dish. Choose your favorite seasonings to customize them to your taste!
Well, it finally happened. I opened my first can of pumpkin for a recipe for the blog over the weekend. I’ve been trying to hold out as long as possible, but the start of September just felt appropriate. I’ve kind of maybe been dying a little inside waiting to make pumpkin recipes for the blog. Don’t be fooled thinking this is the first can of pumpkin I’ve cracked open in months. I’m that girl eating pumpkin in the middle of summer. I have pumpkin muffins in my freezer as we speak.. I may need an intervention before fall is over.
So, in an effort to hold out on posting pumpkin recipes for a little longer I decided to make something else. Sweet potato fries. A little orange obsessed? It’s really a miracle I have not turned orange at this point.
I really love baking potatoes as a side dish because they’re inexpensive and delicious! I especially love sweet potatoes, the fact that they’re good for you is just an added bonus. When I’m short on time I’ll pop one in the microwave and top it with a little butter and cinnamon. But, when I have a little extra time on my hands I love making fries out of them! Everything is better in smaller form, it’s just a proven fact of life.
These sweet potato fries are so easy to make because the oven does most of the work. I prefer to leave the skin on my sweet potatoes, but you can peel them first if you prefer. Just cut them up into evenly sized pieces, this will help make sure they bake evenly. Then toss with a little cornstarch, oil, and whatever spices you prefer.
Next, line them up on a baking sheet, leaving a little room between each one. Then bake for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through! The picture above is the sweet potato fries right before popping them into the oven.
These are great served with a side of ketchup, but I love dipping mine in some pure maple syrup! You can season these however you prefer, I love just a little cinnamon and sometimes salt. If you have a favorite seasoning, then feel free to use that. Enjoy!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes washed and dried
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 -2 tbsp. oil coconut, vegetable, or canola work well
- 1/2-1 tsp. cinnamon
- salt or other seasonings to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray or line with a silipat mat and set aside.
- Cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise, then again, then cut into evenly sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potato fries with the cornstarch, making sure they are evenly coated.
- Pour the oil and seasonings of choice over the fries and toss to coat well.
- Spread the sweet potato fries evenly across the pan, making sure to leave a little room between each one.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve immediately.
Looking for other ideas for side dishes?