Baked Mozzarella Sticks
These baked mozzarella sticks are just as crispy and full of melted cheese liked the fried version, minus all of the fat and calories. These make a great appetizer and are a perfect snack, especially for kids!
Back when I was a teenager, I used to have a major thing for Sonic. I literally ate it almost everyday one summer. Looking back now I cringe at the fact that I ate there so much. I used to love ordering their fried mozzarella sticks and drowning them in some marinara sauce. Fast forward ten years, and long gone are the days of my teenage metabolism.
Ok, so I’m only in my mid-20s but I’m sure my body couldn’t recover from so many fast food meals like it once did. I really love fried mozzarella sticks, but I’m not a fan of all of the fried dough and breading. Now days, it’s just way too greasy for my taste buds.
The good news is that I can still enjoy them, but in a much healthier way. These mozzarella sticks are seriously good and addicting! It’s almost hard to stop at one, but that’s ok because these are baked instead of fried. The panko bread crumbs help give them a nice crunchy little exterior, just like their fried counterparts. If you haven’t used panko before, I highly suggest it! It makes things so much crispier than regular bread crumbs, I love them.
These cheese sticks are great dipped in some marinara sauce, or even some light ranch. Now you can enjoy a classic version of your favorite appetizer, but in a much healthier way.
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- 12 part skim mozzarella sticks
- 2 egg whites*
- 2-3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- **Optional - Marinara sauce for dipping
- Cut all of the cheese sticks in half and place in the freezer for about 20-25 minutes to harden. (Do not skip this step, it is necessary to keep the cheese from melting everywhere!)
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or silipat mat) and set aside.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of flour in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites.
- In another bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, panko, parmesan, and dried parsley until fully combined.
- Remove cheese sticks from the freezer. Toss each cheese stick first in the flour, shaking off any excess. Repeat the same thing with the egg white mixture, then with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place all of the cheese sticks on the prepared baking sheet, lightly spray with oil.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes, remove from oven, flip the cheese sticks, then bake for another 4-5 minutes. Keep a close eye on them as they can easily start to burn or melt too much.*
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
*I broiled mine for the last minute or so to get them crispier. If you do this, make sure to watch them closely.
*These are best served immediately, however, you can prep them ahead of time and pop them in the freezer until you are ready to bake them.
Adapted from Skinny Taste